Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
You are getting there. Once you are up and running well, you can play with the timing a little and try bumping it a degree at a time to see if you can add in some more. More initial timing, within reason, will give you more performance.

How did you come out on the advance springs? Did they clean up OK?

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Haven't touched them yet. I showed the old dizzy to my father in law and he detected some axial play in the bearings so clearly that dizzy belongs on the shelf for now. I did get to the lake yesterday. Ran mostly fine. Ran up to 45 mph indicated. Not sure yet if fuel Econ is different. But I suspect it might be. A couple more outings and I'll be able to tell.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft 1981 deluxe power slot 351 pc
i'm very late to this discussion but i have 2 cents to put in that might save you some haedaches. many years ago i switched the ignition on my 81 351 pcm to pertronix. same dist but pertronix flamethrower module and coil. the boat ran much better but always had a hesitation at top rpm. thought for years it was just bad fuel in the secondaries never being used up. recently i have had a problem with poor performance and backfiring. i went ahead this time and purchased a marine pertronix distributor. although it comes with all the tools and adapters to change the advance in many ways, they had it set up perfectly for my use according to everything i read. so i stuck it in (put my harmonic balancer at the correct degree that i wanted and pointed the rotor at number one) and it runs better than i ever remember it running. no more hesitation at any rpm. advance is perfect. what i realized was that my advanced springs were in bad shape and it is very hard to get them set right once they are bad. but with the new springs and a new distributor, none of the old bad stuff matters. looks original. runs better than ever. it's not much more to go the whole distributor than the modules and nothing beats electronic ignition in these old boats. no more worries about dwell, that's all computed into the formula.
anyway, something you might want to think about.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
i too have had nothing but trouble with the pertronix flamethrower II modules
i have two modules back right now on warranty my first one and my backup spare one .
my first module was awesome but burned up after a full throttle blast down the lake for about 20 mins .second one would studder and stumble and run crappy off idle . but after that it was fine.
the points still work the best in my boat

i had my boat out at the lake this weekend also ,it ran great with the points ,my dwell measured on two different meters, one read 30 degrees and the other meter read 31 degrees .i never bothered to check timing ,the last time i checked it ,it was 10 degrees ,
is 30 -31 degrees fine for dwell ?

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgbottle View Post
i too have had nothing but trouble with the pertronix flamethrower II modules
i have two modules back right now on warranty my first one and my backup spare one .
my first module was awesome but burned up after a full throttle blast down the lake for about 20 mins .second one would studder and stumble and run crappy off idle . but after that it was fine.
the points still work the best in my boat

i had my boat out at the lake this weekend also ,it ran great with the points ,my dwell measured on two different meters, one read 30 degrees and the other meter read 31 degrees .i never bothered to check timing ,the last time i checked it ,it was 10 degrees ,
is 30 -31 degrees fine for dwell ?

Do you suppose the voltage issues were having had anything to do with the Pertronix problems?

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Yes 31 dwell is spec...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
could be
that was why i dug into my dash to fix the voltage issue we'll see how it works
i will be putting the pertronix back in again for another try one day ,for now i will run with the points and enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Do you suppose the voltage issues were having had anything to do with the Pertronix problems?

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgbottle View Post
could be
that was why i dug into my dash to fix the voltage issue we'll see how it works
i will be putting the pertronix back in again for another try one day ,for now i will run with the points and enjoy
I doubt you actually had any voltage issues on the engine and engine harness, I didn't all my problems were under the dash.

I personally won't run Petronix, I've heard way to many problems associated with. Stick with points or swap to the Mallory...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE