Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
This was the one boat I flipped that I actually put some real money in my pocket. Boat did not run and I couldn't even get it to crank to do a compression check. I had to lowball him to protect myself and had cash in hand. I actually had 4K in my pocket but already had another project at home.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=47056
Curious Mike, what did you end up selling that boat for?

I almost bought a project boat, 1990 prostar for $2K but it was down in the Keys. It would have needed about $3K more to make it right to sell. Could have made a couple grand but not worth the travel for me.

(sorry for the threadjack)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 ProStar/Skier19
Thanks Bouyhead. No worries JerseyDave, I'm about to jack my own thread. I've been entertaining another potentially more interesting project(this is where my out of the blue trailer question came from). What do you think of this '87 Prostar 200? There are lots of elements that have been modified/changed that are immediately obvious from the low quality photos but I'm interested. I suppose I'm a sucker for the square windshield/hood scoop combo. Other than my 14ft aluminum with a 15 Johnson, I have no experience with outboards. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
^cool boat, don't see many of those for sale. I'd check compression on the outboard and water test it. If it idles smooth, has good holeshot and top speed you should be ok.
Not sure about the value of the boat itself......it's the older outboard hull so not as desirable as the later model 200. Good barefoot boat for sure.

Oh and that trailer has to go, way to short......and look how forward the axle is. I bet you can pick up the tongue with one finger!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm waiting for more photos later this week. The boat isn't particularly close 5-6 hrs away and during the deep freeze of winter a water test isn't in the cards. I might be able to find a dealer nearby to do a compression/bench test. As well as the trailer, current photos show gel oxidation, ugly cleats, non original rope guard at the back (don't know if you could even find an original style replacement), and incorrect decals. One of the threads here suggested that it was originally used a a jump boat. I suppose it would be fine for slalom and barefoot. As it sits, what would you pay?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Oooooh the Yamaha Excel 225…one of my dream motors back in the day.

No interior shots on that one? If it's bad enough a new set of sewn together skins can be $1000 on up to about 2000 if you install it yourself. More if you don't. Luckily it's a pretty simple interior or it would be more expensive, of course.

Middle of winter, no water test, etc. If the interior looks good, the motor checks out, and I didn't have a line on a proper used trailer I'd be all in around 3k max. New trailer could be that much again which would make turning it for profit tough. Much smaller market for that boat even as cool as it is like Dave said. If you could line up a used trailer for it before the deal you may be okay going a bit higher--but not much. Good news is that you might find a bass boat trailer that would work because it's not an inboard--no prop guard needed. Paint to match, MC graphics, and send it off. I think resto-modding a boat like that wouldn't hurt resale too much vs. all original. As long as it's of decent quality.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks jk13. I've requested some detailed interior pictures from the seller. When/if they arrive I'll post them for your perusal. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quick update, the 88 is off the table. Owner has done his homework and is planning to sit tight through the winter. No surprise there, good call by the current owner.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I've owned a ton of outboards and in my opinion Yamaha has been the best overall
Old 01-20-2014, 10:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
Oooooh the Yamaha Excel 225…one of my dream motors back in the day.

No interior shots on that one? If it's bad enough a new set of sewn together skins can be $1000 on up to about 2000 if you install it yourself. More if you don't. Luckily it's a pretty simple interior or it would be more expensive, of course.

Middle of winter, no water test, etc. If the interior looks good, the motor checks out, and I didn't have a line on a proper used trailer I'd be all in around 3k max. New trailer could be that much again which would make turning it for profit tough. Much smaller market for that boat even as cool as it is like Dave said. If you could line up a used trailer for it before the deal you may be okay going a bit higher--but not much. Good news is that you might find a bass boat trailer that would work because it's not an inboard--no prop guard needed. Paint to match, MC graphics, and send it off. I think resto-modding a boat like that wouldn't hurt resale too much vs. all original. As long as it's of decent quality.
FYI on a replacement trailer, make sure the trailer has enough clearance for the two tracking fins.

Mike B
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Does anyone know the correct name for the chrome bracket/guard that keeps the rope off of the engine? The style changed in later years with the BF200. I cant imagine it would be easy to find an original.