Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
Thanks for the feedback jk13. In your opinion do you think an 84-86 is more valuable during resale than an 87-90, or are there more buyers interested in the older style? As an owner of an 86 myself I just figured that I was in a very biased minority for my preference.
Also, when a slalom boat ends up with a tower on it, like the 88 in question, would you remove the tower and try and bring it back to stock or would you leave that decision for someone else?
As for the first question I think both body styles would sell for about the same when complete, but the older one may be purchased for less. The classics are now being picked up by older guys that already have a wake boat for the family but want the boat they lusted after as a teenager for themselves. Kinda like the Sunday muscle car in the garage.

Towers on old ski boats? I'd pull it and sell it for half what it cost new. That BigAir tower would get you $400-500 toward your overall profit pretty easily. It won't get you that much more for the boat if left on there. Parts are more expensive than packages.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I would use $5K as a max to spend on any year boat project.....mostly because you will put more money into it than you plan on.

Do you want to keep it a few years and then sell it? That would make sense, but if you want to flip it fast make sure you don't overpay from the start.

Something more unique would be fun, for example 93 stars and stripes, 88 platinum, 90 limited, barefoot 200, etc. Watch colors too, teal doesn't sell to everyone for example.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
If the driveline looks good would you go for it if owner accepted 5k?

In my area the used boats are either way overpriced or have been horribly neglected. In the end I drove to Florida (BAWS) and back in 3.5 days to pick up my '86. As much fun as that adventure was I'm not interested in doing it again for a long time. That '88 is about 4hrs away on my side of the border. As always I appreciate your thoughts and experience.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Nice job Jerseydave. You basically answered my next question while I was typing. I knew you guys were good but...jeez! I'd flip it right away. If it went well I'd do it again.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
I would say yes at 5k.

FYI I put new updated graphics on my boat after wet sanding and buffing. Local sign guy, two colors, drop shadow. Sides, transom, and reg. numbers all matching for $120. Far less than dealership or even internet pricing. Keep your costs down wherever you can.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
[quote=PineLakeRumble;1006918]If the driveline looks good would you go for it if owner accepted 5k?

Yes it sounds like a good buy for $5K. Polish it and flip it for $7K.
(car dealers do this all the time right?)
It doesn't appear to be much of a "project boat" if the owner is saying it runs and works fine.

As stated before these are not in demand like the older ones or the '91-'94 Prostars.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Jerseydave and jk13, thanks for your input. I appreciate your time. I'm going to contact the seller tomorrow. One way or the other I'll let you know how it plays out.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is a twist. If the boat does not come with the original trailer, in this case a real piece of junk (not mastercraft), how much does that reduce the value of the boat?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Unless the boat fits the trailer perfectly it could reduce the price significantly. If you got that boat for 5k, trailer was serviceable, and nothing was wrong with the boat but cosmetic stuff you would be doing O.K. if you broke even. I've flipped a few boats over the past 5 years and for the reasons you describe, sometimes I made a few bucks, others I broke even but always enjoyed the time spent working on the boat. Try to lowball when looking for a project boat. Remember, you WANT it but you don't NEED it. And keep very active in the local classifieds and be ready to act quick with cash, the best deals go quick. Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
This was the one boat I flipped that I actually put some real money in my pocket. Boat did not run and I couldn't even get it to crank to do a compression check. I had to lowball him to protect myself and had cash in hand. I actually had 4K in my pocket but already had another project at home.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=47056