Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Project Prostar

I'm looking for a boat that I could work on as a project and either break even or make a little money for my efforts. Like many of you I really enjoy working on my own boat/car/bike etc. What are some things to look for when taking on a project? Are there certain generations to stay away from? Are there certain options/colours issues that are make it or break it with a 190? How important is the condition of the trailer? Any help with this venture would be appreciated. I'm interested in anything from 84-94.

For instance, what would you pay for something like this...

http://saultstemarie.kijiji.ca/c-car...AdIdZ509208788
Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I'd look for 83 on up as those have no wood
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
I'd look for 83 on up as those have no wood
83 1/2 on up have no wood. wood stringers the first part of 83, fiber glass the latter
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
'84 to '86 are now classics. May be found cheaper from an under informed seller and sold for decent money if you put in the work.
'87 to '90 like pictured are the least sought after of the three body styles in this range (no offense to anyone with those years--strictly talking resale).
'91 to '94 are still regarded as one of the best wakes ever.

The boat you listed actually has a fair asking price. While it does need minor gel coat work the interior looks pretty good. No engine pics to judge. Around here if you could talk them down to 5.5-6k you'd be doing pretty well if the engine bay looks decent. When finished it could fetch around 8-9k maybe at the right time of year.

Trailer paint, probably brakes and actuator (maybe tires too), cut and polish the gel coat, new correct graphics, any engine repair or maintenance, etc. That one looks to be a break even or slim profit at best. Better off as someone's first boat or first inboard. Daily use in current condition and clean it up slowly. Little bit too nice overall already to come out ahead on it.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback jk13. In your opinion do you think an 84-86 is more valuable during resale than an 87-90, or are there more buyers interested in the older style? As an owner of an 86 myself I just figured that I was in a very biased minority for my preference.
Also, when a slalom boat ends up with a tower on it, like the 88 in question, would you remove the tower and try and bring it back to stock or would you leave that decision for someone else?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
This is exactly what I'm looking for too. Once my garage is built, I want a 84 S&S.

But why go back to stock when you can go full custom? Did you see that one in the Prostar unveil thread? Un. Real.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about going stupid, but something classy and modern is awesome on those mid 80's hulls.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

No question, the black S&S is awesome. So many clever details. If the boat is a keeper (and that boat is, I hope the engine is the marine version of a GT 500!) you are only limited by your own imagination. His imagination is on overdrive. I'll contrast that boat with all the boats that end up in the bad tower thread. No accounting for taste! When rebuilding a boat/car/bike to flip, bad custom choices can be deadly during resale. At least that's my thinking.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Are you at Pine Lake, Alberta?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Greetings Wheelerd,

Pine Lake, Ontario (about hrs from Toronto). My only connection to Alberta at this point is Shuswap SKi and Board. Good people and service.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
I'm looking for a boat that I could work on as a project and either break even or make a little money for my efforts. Like many of you I really enjoy working on my own boat/car/bike etc. What are some things to look for when taking on a project? Are there certain generations to stay away from? Are there certain options/colours issues that are make it or break it with a 190? How important is the condition of the trailer? Any help with this venture would be appreciated. I'm interested in anything from 84-94.

For instance, what would you pay for something like this...

http://saultstemarie.kijiji.ca/c-car...AdIdZ509208788
too much money for this boat. Regarding the trailer... it's easy to spend up to a $1000 bucks to refurbish the trailer. For 8K you can 93-94's in nice shape... specially this time of year.