Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Not filling or emptying

One of my ballast tanks neither fills or empties. At first I assumed it was a bad pump or impeller, but I took the cover off and the impeller is in great condition and spins fine. If the sensor is correct, the tank is about half full but won't fill up or empty when the pump is working. The others all work fine (though maybe the stream is a little weak, so I think my boat could have prostrate problems).

Options I have considered:

Pump not priming - major leak in tubes for that pump? How would I find this? Other causes?

Blockage in tubes for that pump - how would I find this or teat for it?

Other ideas?

2011 X-25 with stock ballast system by the way.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Try emptying the ballast with the boat on the trailer to verify that the pump is working correctly. I'm assuming your through hull is below the water line. If the pump is working then it's the gauge or sensor/sender. If not, try a new impeller first. They can look fine but still not work.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 01-15-2014, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
It does not empty on the trailer. When inspecting the impeller, all vanes were intact and in perfect condition and the impeller spins when powered on, it just doesn't suck any water. I'm thinking either their is an air leak somewhere so the pump can never generate any head pressure or there is a blockage in a line. I may try swapping impellers with one of the pumps I know is working and see if that changes anything (doubt it since the impeller looked brand new).
Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Disconnect one side of the bag and lift it upwhile emptying to prime the pump. The pump might just be scavaging for some reason.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Oh sorry didn't see you had hard tanks. It sounds like the pumps are just not priming for some reason.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Sometimes, the ballast motor will run while dry but are so worn they just make noise and do not pump water when under load. IE when they have water coming at them. They are making noise but not really turning.

I've seen this happen more often on pumps that are mounted with the impeller side up. They start to leak water into the motor and slowly start to fry.

Hence the reason for turning over any pumps you might have that are impeller side up.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Make sure the valve is open.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
I had something similar happen once. The motor would run, but no pumping. It turned out that the impeller hub was spun, so the motor would run, but the impeller didn't spin. The plastic hub should have a flat spot to mate with the motor shaft.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6coug View Post
I had something similar happen once. The motor would run, but no pumping. It turned out that the impeller hub was spun, so the motor would run, but the impeller didn't spin. The plastic hub should have a flat spot to mate with the motor shaft.
I've seen this too.

If the pump overheats it will melt the impeller hub and wont turn.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6coug View Post
ditto! this happened to me last summer while on vacation at table rock. turns out i forgot to turn off the pump after you ^^^ reprogamed my timers! (best money i have spent)

knock on wood i had a spare!