Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-25-2014, 03:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 14 xstar
Glad to see some others with rockin systems here. I'm in the development of a similar rated system and would also like some input on power. Here's how the boat stands after phase 1:

(3) JL MHD 600/4 Amps powering 10 JL 7.7s.

I've settled on the subs and amps listed below and am now trying to finalize power.

(4) JL 10w6v3 subs
(2) JL HD 1200/1 amps

So, that totals 4200 watts once installed. I too intend on powering from an independent bank of batteries/power cells. As of now, I'm leaning toward 4 kinetik HC2400 power cells. After reading this thread, not sure if that will be enough. There will be days that the system will play for 6-8 hours, 2-4 of which will be at high output levels. Also looking for some advice on a charger. I have 120v available on the lift where the boat is stored.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpabreo View Post
Glad to see some others with rockin systems here. I'm in the development of a similar rated system and would also like some input on power. Here's how the boat stands after phase 1:

(3) JL MHD 600/4 Amps powering 10 JL 7.7s.

I've settled on the subs and amps listed below and am now trying to finalize power.

(4) JL 10w6v3 subs
(2) JL HD 1200/1 amps

So, that totals 4200 watts once installed. I too intend on powering from an independent bank of batteries/power cells. As of now, I'm leaning toward 4 kinetik HC2400 power cells. After reading this thread, not sure if that will be enough. There will be days that the system will play for 6-8 hours, 2-4 of which will be at high output levels. Also looking for some advice on a charger. I have 120v available on the lift where the boat is stored.
Should be crazy, panty dropping sound on the boat.
(don't expect it to carry more than 3 boats each side with the small subs) Its not the subs its the surface area that is limiting

Honestly if more then 4 batteries and long play time - I cant stress enough ( 90A power supply and some sort of AC power, h2k or cruiser genny) Don't know every situation but u need a 90A charger with 4 batteries anyway so might as well spring for the h2k and not rely on someone else you have the hook up.) Start running the genny as soon as play starts, otherwise power cannot keep up.

Damn, I am giving away all my secrets but add me on FB and keep the party going!
Or prove me wrong and I will kiss your
Honestly, the only thing louder for Party Cove is PA. I rolled my eyes at a long time band buddy til I hooked up a Peavy system.
NO CONTEST, PA (surface area and compression horn) RULES!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
bsloop,
Hey, couple final questions...I'm buying the battery tending portion here shortly. I went with the two Lifeline 8D's for batteries. Question is the Iota 90 is really for being able to continue to run with the Generator hooked up indefinitely correct?

For shore charging this separate bank, is it ok to use the same 90A charger or should I have a trickle charger as well hooked up? I just don't want to smoke the batteries.

thanks for your help!

only regret is I wish I could find more room to put (2) 13W7's together instead of the single...
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
bsloop,
Hey, couple final questions...I'm buying the battery tending portion here shortly. I went with the two Lifeline 8D's for batteries. Question is the Iota 90 is really for being able to continue to run with the Generator hooked up indefinitely correct?

For shore charging this separate bank, is it ok to use the same 90A charger or should I have a trickle charger as well hooked up? I just don't want to smoke the batteries.

thanks for your help!

only regret is I wish I could find more room to put (2) 13W7's together instead of the single...
It's certainly a larger amperage capacity than your battery bank requires, which would be a charger capacity of no more than 15% of your amp/hours. 750 A/Hs would normally be the minimum match for such a large charger. What is the A/Hs of your collective 8Ds? Certainly not uncommon for thruster banks on large motoryachts. Because it is a convertor class of charger it can act as a continuous duty power supply as long as you do not peg it at the maximum 90 amps for extended periods. Music is transient in nature, and not like a DC light bulb, so if you stay out of clipping and know how to treat your equipmnent, it's unlikely you would run at 90 amps. However, a large stereo at full output combined with seriously depleted batteries could top the 90 amps. A standard class of charger will burn up if run as a non-stop power supply at a high percentage of capacity.
You will need 30 amp service, in storage and from the gen, not the standard 15 amp.
In order to have that unit safely connected to the batteries without a large stereo load, you would need the external charging management appendage. Because it is single bank you would need a separate maintenance charger for the starting bank.
Intelli-Power has an 80 amp multi-stage, multi-bank convertor-class charger that needs no extra appendages and would not require a second charger for the starting bank.
If you manage this correctly, the alternator could continue to safely service the stereo bank throughout the day until the voltage drops below a certain threshold. This would extend your day. However, once you are below that threshold, it's unsafe (for the alternator) to bring the alternator back on-line with the stereo bank. In a "must have more voltage" scenario, you can temporarily shut down the stereo so that the voltage will not sag too much and the alternator can partially restore the batteries. An unlimited battery capacity that is fully charged is no threat to your charging system.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

David, thank you for the response.

Here are some of the facts:
-The two batteries are 255aH each
-This stereo bank is completely separate from the (2) starting batteries
-My hoist has 110 run to it so I can shore charge at night
-The large bank is for the 8 times a year or so that I'm on another lake or vacation that I can play at decent volumes for hours...that is kind of why I like the idea of having a generator that you can fire up and run the charger to run continuously.

-My stereo guys here in Michigan are basically clueless when it comes to systems like this...

-Am I wrong to go ahead and put in two chargers for the stereo bank...a 90 that will charge fast, and a trickle that I use for everyday to hook up at the hoist? Or would this Intelli-Power do the trick?

thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
David, thank you for the response.

Here are some of the facts:
-The two batteries are 255aH each
-This stereo bank is completely separate from the (2) starting batteries
-My hoist has 110 run to it so I can shore charge at night
-The large bank is for the 8 times a year or so that I'm on another lake or vacation that I can play at decent volumes for hours...that is kind of why I like the idea of having a generator that you can fire up and run the charger to run continuously.

-My stereo guys here in Michigan are basically clueless when it comes to systems like this...

-Am I wrong to go ahead and put in two chargers for the stereo bank...a 90 that will charge fast, and a trickle that I use for everyday to hook up at the hoist? Or would this Intelli-Power do the trick?

thanks!
Two chargers of different types and purposes will work on the same bank and are isolated from one another just as both are isolated from the alternator's output. But a single Intelli-Power will do both operations without appendages and while also maintaining the starting bank as it is ''distribute on demand".
I would recommend that you get with Odin from Earmark Marine. He knows this category exceptionally well, and not just because of his marine industry and big cruisers experience, but also since he has owned several tournament bass boats with big banks, big chargers, and big amperage trolling motors. Odin offers the convertor-class Intelli-Power series and he has over 75 instructional documents, diagrahms and illustrations to support this category. He can show you some interesting ways to maximize your charging system effectiveness.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks again! I wish Earmark was a tad bit closer so I could just drop it off and have them handle it!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks again! I wish Earmark was a tad bit closer so I could just drop it off and have them handle it!
I understand. But, Odin will walk your installers (if they're open to assistance) through any process just like he does for boat owners doing their own installation work.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
bsloop,

thanks for your help!

AUGH!!! Just lost 30 min of typing since Team MC does not have auto-save Here is the short, no explaination / story version.
Most of David's points are good.

Yes it will play ALL day and night using a Honda 2k especially with your more efficient amps and less subs. Start the genny when you begin to play or the Charger will trip a H2k breaker much quicker.

The Intellipower Marine 2100 series appears to be 3 times more expensive than the IP9200 series/Iota/Kinetik and only gain 3 bank charging.
They all have smart charging that will not harm a battery if used as both a charger and long term maintainer.

If you have constant shore power, I would do the cheaper series and select "ALL".
If you are memory challenged, put the Charger on the stereo bank and a Ctek 7002 or similar marine charger on the engine bank.
My experience, a standard 15-20a circuit is sufficient as long as the battery bank is not completely dead AND you are trying to continue heavy play.

Sorry, my first draft had more WHY answers but too frustrated to retype.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

bsloop, thanks for the reply as well...damn, I hate when that happens to me too and the site times out...ugh!

I'm spending some time this afternoon on the boat brainstorming to see if there is a way I can get a pair of the 13's mounted and vented to the cabin.

Something tells me this will be a work in progress...up here I'm in an enclosed shop, so everything sounds good and over the top loud, but huge difference getting it out on the water to see how it performs.