Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I'm bored and really hurting for summer so here are a couple more OPP pics.
Sorry to hijack your thread

Baby oil twister and Foam were new but separate ideas this year
Coincidentally, soap foam worked great to clean up after the baby oil

Sunday-fun-day can be the best!
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
So by Midwest, I mean Michigan...yes our season is a little short here, but that means we hit it hard. I live on a decent size lake called Cass Lake in the City of Orchard Lake...essentially the entire area are natural glacier lakes...if only they all connected! Anyway great part about my lake is that it is pretty much party central on the weekends, there is a great sandbar that is perfect for hanging out in the water and walking between boats. The one problem is that there is one township on a small section of the lake that has a noise ordinance...needless to say, I have been profiled and essentially there is a cop boat out that watches you like a hawk on weekends...of course that is where the sandbar is. I pretty much get 1-2 tickets a year...they know me well over at the city hall. Worst part about it is if they site you for noise pollution more than twice they impound your boat...yes they can be the fun Nazi's, but I do feel bad for the people who's beautiful $1M homes are not accessible on the weekends because there are a couple hundred boats tied up in front of them.

I need to check out that site that you mention, I take my boat at the beginning of the season on a trip down south, to either Lake Cumberland or Norris lake with about 18 of my closest friends. (My buddy brings his X15) We are not sure if it is classified as a boating trip or a drinking trip, but regardless it is a great time. On top of that I'm about 20 miles from Lake St. Clair and we do a party that is called Jobbie Nooner twice a year. I'll post pics below...it is the biggest raft off I have ever seen, and I've been to a lot of them. Hands down though the best one is Torch Lake Sandbar on the 4th of July...pics also attached. For those of you who have never boated in Michigan, you should plan a vacation up north...it is heaven for the 16 weeks a year the weather and water temp is awesome.

If I had your set-up on my lake, I'd be in Jail...but it would probably be worth it.

Pic (1) My lake Cass Lake
Pic (2) Jobbie Nooner on Lake St. Clair...yes all those white dots are boats...google search it, you'll spend hours on the pics
Pic (3) Torch Lake Sand Bar

Party pics are on other computer that I will have to post later.

Thanks for all your help...here I thought I knew what I was doing.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Bummer on the noise ordinances. I fear LOTO may be edging closer to that. WP harassment drove so many away from PC which was in the undeveloped state park and dispersed them closer to their homes. Problem is most of the lake has now developed so most gathering is now in front of houses as well.

I had heard of Jobbie Nooner. Checked out their Crew site, their ship is 32x10 and obviously a little nicer.
I have my eye on a 42x12 pontoon houseboat that is rotted on top but toons still look good. Don't know if I will attempt it this year......

Try to stay out of trouble with your upgrades.
I would go with 2 Trojan 8d or equivalents, install a 90amp power supply (also acts as a charger which you would need anyway) and carry a 100' extension cord to hook up to a neighboring cruiser on big weekends. IF you do spend the coin on a Honda2k, it is incredibly useful off the boat as well!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT X-9 01 INDMAR 330 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
You sir are my hero, I should hire you to come up here for a weekend to do this stuff...I swear the local stereo guys here are not out of he box thinkers.

Last year we used a y splitter cable to play the iPod between out two boats that had decent systems...FM transmitter...really? I feel like total armature hour now, ha!
You can also use the wetsounds ws-420 to run from boat to boat without using a y connector
Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
How is the sound quality over the fm transmitter?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
How is the sound quality over the fm transmitter?
Depends on the transmitter, antenna and placement.
The Ramsey 100b 3w with antenna can reach 100-200' when hung from my tower and no cruisers blocking.

Also depends on the antenna on the boat. Many have a small antenna or none at all. I can pickup the signal from 150-200 yards when I test the rig at home with my truck radio driving around.

Signal quality is as clean as anything broadcast commercially. Not like the crappy little plug in systems that are used in a car.
Dynamic range is not as great since commercial stations use hundreds of thousands of dollars of sophisticated compression technology. It gets the job done nicely, especially if there is a primary system bumping the bass, the other units just fill in.
60% is about as loud as you want to turn up a system, just like you would not blast full power on a high dollar system with any other radio transmission.

50' RCAs cables string a quality sound 3-4 boats away to get a clean signal for high power play.

Last edited by bsloop; 01-21-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Depends on the transmitter, antenna and placement.
The Ramsey 100b 3w with antenna can reach 100-200' when hung from my tower and no cruisers blocking.

Also depends on the antenna on the boat. Many have a small antenna or none at all. I can pickup the signal from 150-200 yards when I test the rig at home with my truck radio driving around.

Signal quality is as clean as anything broadcast commercially. Not like the crappy little plug in systems that are used in a car.
Dynamic range is not as great since commercial stations use hundreds of thousands of dollars of sophisticated compression technology. It gets the job done nicely, especially if there is a primary system bumping the bass, the other units just fill in.
60% is about as loud as you want to turn up a system, just like you would not blast full power on a high dollar system with any other radio transmission.

50' RCAs cables string a quality sound 3-4 boats away to get a clean signal for high power play.
We usually just split or daisy chain 3.5mm cables between boats, but I've been looking for a better solution. We tried bluetooth and between the poor sound quality and the lag, it was useless. I figured the dynamic range with the fm transmitter would be a problem.

Wetsounds was working on a wireless boat link setup a couple of years ago, but it has not made it to market yet.

I may just take a laptop and setup an airplay server and see how that works this year.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
bsloop, You guys rock! and I thought we were cool - you guys kill us!

Last edited by craig3972; 01-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Subs, genny and all listed above are on my 24' MC.
See pic, sub box is down firing mounted on legs on starboard side of engine box. Honda and cooler sit nicely on top of it. 90a Iota power supply is mounted in the gunwale and genny also powers the FM transmitter.
Another guy has no problem sitting one in his open bow. They are very quiet and efficient with little CO risk.

Transmitter is a 3 watt Ramsey with antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMSEY-FM100...item3383a9a666
I bought the 3 watt because it is the largest legal powered transmitter and I am a little high profile so I had minor reservations if I pissed someone off they would report me to the FCC. It is a little sensitive to power fluctuations like when the genny runs out of gas, gets over drawn by the power supply etc. Since FM is line of sight and I don't have a high tower the distance is not as much as expected, especially if I get in between a couple cruisers. Another boat bought a 30 watt Chinese unit that is much better. I will probably go that route if I buy again.
Transmitter takes an rca output just like an amp. You can see the Antenna mounted in PVC pipe hung on my tower in the 3rd pic above.

I play a wide mix from dance, pop, country, rock realizing there are people from 16 to 62 that come to the Cove. Use a DJ on the big weekends. Transmitter is nice since everyone can play in sync. It is a good theory but the funny part is many blow their batteries early so they still rely on my system by late afternoon.

I feel you on the party let down. Before I got the genny/power supply I would run out of juice late day. Usually I would just turn off. But a couple times the Action was too good so I fired up the engine and kept the party going. After burning though $50 in gas a couple times then replace an alternator, genny or more batteries make a lot of sense.

OK, one more OPP pic. Sometimes the shave cream my buddy uses for binding lube gets an alternative use too.....
I looked at your link on ebay about the Ramsay transmitter, very interesting stuff. What about using one of those small 12v 15watt chinese transmitters http://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-stereo-P...tem19e70b0117?
Is there any way to be sure that the sound quality will be good?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
I looked at your link on ebay about the Ramsay transmitter, very interesting stuff. What about using one of those small 12v 15watt chinese transmitters http://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-stereo-P...tem19e70b0117?
Is there any way to be sure that the sound quality will be good?
I can picture the guy's face that had the Chinese high power but cant remember his name and coming up blank when asking others.
I really cant tell you if he had a 120 or 12v unit. He had a cruiser so it could have been either. If using a 12v. I would consider putting it on its own battery to avoid the large power swings tying into a stereo bank would create.

Best bet is to search the internet for reviews/complaints. Sorry not more help.