Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
bsloop,

So question would be on the Trojan batteries...are you saying to go with the Trojan version of the 8D's? What do you mean that they would be less maintenance or easier to treat right vs. the Lifeline? They are about $200/each cheaper to go with the Trojans.

Anyway, I appreciate the info, you sound like somebody who party's like I do!
Trojan are lead acid instead of AGM. If they get hot and gas, they can be refilled, thus extending life. I don't know about Lifeline but most AGM are sealed.
Given how stereos and boats change hands, I don't think the extra cost would be realized in extra play time or life expectancy. If properly maintained, lead acid can deliver a long service life.

You can look at Trojan 8d or as I said, consider a pair of 6v like the L16H size or others. 6v have even larger single cells so they will perform better with a heavy draw. This is why you see them in golf carts and fork lifts.

Couple pics of my party rig. MasterCraft, gutted Blue Toon for DJ and gear, flat topped 12'x24', 5 log party deck, OPP (OtherPartyPlatform)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PerryPartyCove/
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
I don't think you are too far off, but real world can be different than calculations and both amps and speakers make a significant difference.

I run approx. 3300w on 5 Kinetik 2400 batteries - 110ah @ 20a each.
3 RF Power T600 for my highs - 2 WS 485, 4 bullet HP 6.5
1 RF Power T1500 for subs - 2 Kicker L7 15"
I can play about 120 min at 80% then notice the lower voltage dropping full power to the subs.

We have similar:
battery bank rating 550ah w Kinetiks vs 510ah Lifelines
similar total amp output

Things working against me include:
A/B amps with lower efficiency
more battery cells

Unknown - sub size. I can tell you the two 15" L7 consume SIGNIFICANTLY more power than 4 Kicker 10" CompVR on the same T1500 amp. (They are similar magnitudes louder)

Being generous on the greater efficiency of JL amps and assuming you have smaller ish subs, I would guess a useable play time of 200 minutes at similar 80% volume. This means you will realistically probably get 250-300 minutes total play time since usually you will not tie up and turn it to 80%. Volume will ramp up over an hour or two and if you are smart, taper off when you start to feel things weaken.
Fewer large battery cells will yield better discharge results. Thus a pair of 8d's should be as good as my 5. Even though on paper the Kinetik bank appears stronger.
You might also consider a pair of 6v which will yield 12v series. Bonus, they can be space saving if you have the height, depending on installation. See Lifeline's lineup - http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marinedeepcycle.php

LifeLine are bad azz, top of the line, but you better treat them right or it will be a waste of $$$.
Trojan wet cells can offer similar performance for a significant savings, easier to maintain and charge.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/markets/mr/6v/
Deep discharge whether intentional due to extended playing or accidental will significantly shorten the life. Hey, it happens....I would rather buy the Trojans twice with $$$ to spare. Its not like we are on an ocean voyage where failure could be catastrophic.

If you really want to play all day on the Holiday weekends or just treat your batteries better - Install a large power supply from IOTA or Kinetik. These can handle most stereo play and still charge the batteries if you have a power source on the water like an extension cord to a cruiser or genny running in the bow. Try that with a standard battery charger and see how many burn up...
I run a 90A Iota and Honda2k. The party don't stop!
Added bonus, of the H2k - I can run a crock pot of pork shoulder for the best on water, bbq pulled pork sandwiches and the party goes into the night!
Correct me if im wrong, but arent the jl hd/mhd amps more efficient than the rockfords?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
yes significantly more efficient...I'm not exactly sure how it will translate to power consumption, but I can tell you that my HD750/1 did not drain the batteries at all and I only had 150 Ah in my last boat and about 1700 RMS,
Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV24 View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but arent the jl hd/mhd amps more efficient than the rockfords?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
I don't think you are too far off, but real world can be different than calculations and both amps and speakers make a significant difference.

I run approx. 3300w on 5 Kinetik 2400 batteries - 110ah @ 20a each.
3 RF Power T600 for my highs - 2 WS 485, 4 bullet HP 6.5
1 RF Power T1500 for subs - 2 Kicker L7 15"
I can play about 120 min at 80% then notice the lower voltage dropping full power to the subs.

We have similar:
battery bank rating 550ah w Kinetiks vs 510ah Lifelines
similar total amp output

Things working against me include:
A/B amps with lower efficiency

more battery cells

Unknown - sub size. I can tell you the two 15" L7 consume SIGNIFICANTLY more power than 4 Kicker 10" CompVR on the same T1500 amp. (They are similar magnitudes louder)

Being generous on the greater efficiency of JL amps and assuming you have smaller ish subs, I would guess a useable play time of 200 minutes at similar 80% volume.
I acknowledged the efficiency difference between A/B and D amps and allotted a 70% longer play time.

With a single 13w7 weighing 52# vs a pair of 15" L7; 40# each; there is less moving mass consuming energy too. (yes, I am using gross weights as I could not quickly find the moving mass of both)

As for battery life, a higher drain will not yield a linear shorter play time, it will be less.
My numbers are also a little more conservative than some. I said, I could feel a weakening of the batteries, meaning a resting voltage of maybe 11.5 (10.8 on bass hit). Heavily depleting batteries down to 10.0v where the amps cut out will significantly reduce battery life.
Not abusing my batteries and keeping them charged though out the day, then fully at night and over the winter is how they still test strong after 5 summers of HEAVY use.

More life than you think you will need will tax the batteries less, giving them a longer life. Plus as they naturally weaken in 2-3 years you will still have acceptable life instead of searching for a way to add more power and run into the situation of trying to add additional new batteries to the existing system.

I often will play at 80% right out of the gate because I wait til 2-3pm to turn on. Letting others enjoy their stereos and mixes before I turn on overpowering sound. Their batteries are beginning to fail by that time and people are getting comfortable to move away from their boats. BTW, we also FM broadcast so others can tune in.

Just the experience with my system and others I have assisted building........

Last edited by bsloop; 01-17-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ok, to things...FM broadcast...please do explain this. I feel like its my first day of college and I forgot my notepad!

Second, I only have a 24' X Star so to sure how I can power during the day out on the water. You are talking about a generator plugged in right to keep things charged up? I really can't see that being necessary for me.

What about me just adding a 3rd 8D? I surf a lot as well and he'll this would eliminate the need to fill a fat sack!

It's not like it is a common occurrence that I'll be playing for more than 4 hours at 80%, maybe 3-4 times a year, I just want to make sure the party doesn't crash at an in opportune time if you know what I mean.

I wish I had room for a second 13w7 in common ported box.

Are you running this system on that pontoon boat? I've been to the Ozark's once...the party cove was ridiculous...wish that was a little closer to me here.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Wheres thay guy that says he has videos to prove he parties harder than all of us?? He clearly hasnt seen those pictures. Lol
Old 01-17-2014, 10:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Subs, genny and all listed above are on my 24' MC.
See pic, sub box is down firing mounted on legs on starboard side of engine box. Honda and cooler sit nicely on top of it. 90a Iota power supply is mounted in the gunwale and genny also powers the FM transmitter.
Another guy has no problem sitting one in his open bow. They are very quiet and efficient with little CO risk.

Transmitter is a 3 watt Ramsey with antenna http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMSEY-FM100...item3383a9a666
I bought the 3 watt because it is the largest legal powered transmitter and I am a little high profile so I had minor reservations if I pissed someone off they would report me to the FCC. It is a little sensitive to power fluctuations like when the genny runs out of gas, gets over drawn by the power supply etc. Since FM is line of sight and I don't have a high tower the distance is not as much as expected, especially if I get in between a couple cruisers. Another boat bought a 30 watt Chinese unit that is much better. I will probably go that route if I buy again.
Transmitter takes an rca output just like an amp. You can see the Antenna mounted in PVC pipe hung on my tower in the 3rd pic above.

I play a wide mix from dance, pop, country, rock realizing there are people from 16 to 62 that come to the Cove. Use a DJ on the big weekends. Transmitter is nice since everyone can play in sync. It is a good theory but the funny part is many blow their batteries early so they still rely on my system by late afternoon.

I feel you on the party let down. Before I got the genny/power supply I would run out of juice late day. Usually I would just turn off. But a couple times the Action was too good so I fired up the engine and kept the party going. After burning though $50 in gas a couple times then replace an alternator, genny or more batteries make a lot of sense.

OK, one more OPP pic. Sometimes the shave cream my buddy uses for binding lube gets an alternative use too.....
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
The Stones may want to borrow your sound system for their next tour.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

You sir are my hero, I should hire you to come up here for a weekend to do this stuff...I swear the local stereo guys here are not out of he box thinkers.

Last year we used a y splitter cable to play the iPod between out two boats that had decent systems...FM transmitter...really? I feel like total armature hour now, ha!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
we used a y splitter cable to play the iPod between out two boats that had decent systems
Y splitter, lol, so 5 years ago JK
I do have two 50' RCA cables that work great to get clean signal between boats spaced a couple apart. http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-...s+to+go+50+rca
FM is nice but you don't want to turn it up LOUD so we use those to go between the DJ rig on BlueToon and MasterCraft or to others with a high power endurance system.
FM is nice because if you play a good mix and people to tune in it does make it fun when everyone is together and not fighting systems. Also amazing how one jackazz that wants to turn up death metal can interrupt the sound.

The "next level" came 3 years ago when I bought a pontoon "cheap" then rebuilt from frame up. Leaving off all the furniture gives a ton of flexibility. DJ and PA equipment set up great.
Also just happened upon the flat top that spring. It was already modified but carpet was in sad shape. Its has no motor, we pull it. Went rounds with the Corps and WP whether it was a dock or boat. Corps said it could not be a dock because the they would not permit it. So I asked for orange life jacket donations and filled the large fabric Gaylord with 80+ jackets so WP would not hassle about capacity.

Looking for more sound cheaper, bought the 4 15" pa speakers and amp off Craigslist for $600 3 yrs ago. Two years ago my buddy started loaning two dual 15" Peavy sub cabs + amp from his studio which really brought out the bass!
Last year in my stupid quest for more I ran across those EV MH60 stadium horns. (Wheelerd was more funny with his comment than he may have thought, to me. They are old 70-80's tech that have since been replaced by Array setups) LOUD does not begin to describe. The problem is, they were not intended to sound good til 200' away. The jump from 12v to PA was not bad but Stadium sound is above my tuning experience, trying to find a concert guy to come out and help. They also take a team to setup which I can usually muster.

I don't know what "Midwest" means in your signature but you might also like Midwestboatparty.com forum. Mostly LOTO and Midwest events, a little performance boat centric but also general recreation.
I usually boat Perry, KS, which is where all my gear is, not LOTO. Twice a year we host a gtg for MidwestBoatParty where people from surrounding states come in. It started to give a smaller venue for boats that cant handle LOTO and great to put faces with screen names. Nearly as big as a holiday weekend but without the holiday jackazz's, just "professional" party boaters that know how to raft up, PARTY and maintain respect for others.
Arial pic from Summer 2011 Party a guy flying by happened to take. It was our smallest rally in 6 years due to the low water levels and blue green algae warnings but you get the idea.....
The "T" that develops off OPP is often 10-20 boats.

All are welcome. 2014 - June 6-8, Aug 8-10
If you want to check out some party action, join our FB Perry Party Cove
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PerryPartyCove/
Also Phoenix, Lake Pleasant has some crazy antics although a much smaller cove. He posts more sexy stuff and admitted a ton of foreign leaches early that clogged up his first page so he started a second.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-L...61791943901748
https://www.facebook.com/The.LPPC
Attached Images