Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Tower mounting positions in or out?

Most boats with only 2 cans on the tower are mounted on the outside positions. Makes sense for headroom etc.. However, mine came with them mounted together on the inside positions. Any thoughts one way or the other? I haven't had any headroom issues so far. I doubt there are any mutual coupling benefits to really speak of with them mounted together.

Personal preference? Whatever looks the best? Just the way the dealer or manuf maybe prepped the boat?

It's odd as I actually like the way it looks on my tower but don't think I would looking at another boat. Maybe because that's just the way it's always been. Looking at other boats just got me thinking about it that mine is different.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
The outside location look best IMO, but on some boats with some tower, with certain size speakers, they can interfere with boards in the swivel racks. The inboard locations can be head bangers for those climbing in and out. For both the stated reasons, Ive done speakers on the top of the tower with traditional clamps.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Guessing that an audiophile would suggest separating them so you can distinguish between left/right channels, but can you really tell on a boat anyway? IMO, all about appearance and personal preference and I would prefer them separated for a more "balanced" look.