Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
Mastercraft X2 gone, what now from here?

Hi, located in Australia, I recently had my 07 X2 stolen from out front of our home the night before we were leaving on our annual summer trip to the river. Now I wont go into what, how and the likes, other that its now in the hands of the insurance company and the investigators, however, pending a satisfactory result, I now have the opportunity to consider a replacement. Now dont get me wrong, I loved my X2 and did the improvement thing over the few years I owned it.

My options the way I see it, is to replace with a X2 from 2008 - 2010 maybe purchasing here from Aus. in good used condition. My 07 had almost 300hrs, so ideally would prefer a boat with similar or less hours. I guess I did have a little of the MCOCD with this rig.

Although there were a few niggly things I didnt like with the X2, so what would I like on the replacement, understanding that the quality of fit/finish in a mastercraft is 2nd to none.

pickle fork, love this style

access to storage from bow area makes easier access without moving ppl

storage space worked really well for my needs

wake shape when loaded, had wakemakers extra ballast in rears and bow

easy to read gauges

seating arrrangement

very stable on plane even when loaded

niggly things I didnt like

Folding down/up tower as I needed to get into storage
cabin speakers on sides, mine only had front and sound would not fill cabin space

ballast timers, though I sent my module to a TT member and sorted this

so not much else I didnt like I think

so am I trying to convince myself to stick with a Mastercraft, or should I consider other makes. For a similar price point to a 2008-10 used X2, a demo Axis A20 or MB F22 Tomcat can be had for the around the same cost. Now dont flame me here, I appreciate the MC love on this site, but I would like input from others here that have experienced these 2 brands or others they have ridden in or behind, or perhaps would even consider....btw I havent ridden in either of these, but will get the opportunity to soon. I have most likely ruled out Nautiques as I found the wake to be too vertical for my liking, this was on an 2003 210 and a new 230 I didnt like the way it handled in the water, felt quite washy.

btw I do have a Mastercraft sticker on the back of my truck, and an MC cooler, should this be enough to keep me with this brand??

Also, what years in MC from 2008 is best to steer from, due to electronics etc?

look forward to your input, oh and I attach a pic of my 07 X2 the first time I had it on the water purchased 3yrs ago...cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by g-mantrix; 01-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

I will also add, right now we are in the peak of our summer, so pickle fork X2's are rare unless dealer new, what are the other MC options ie x14V, X15??
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
the x14v or x15 will have a traditional bow. are you constrained by overall size? sorry to hear about your loss. good luck with your search.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
man, that really sucks. i'm sorry for your loss.

Unless you ski, the X25 will do everything the X2 did better (oh, and be 20 ft). Mattscraft could shed some good light on that as he went from a 2 to a 25. 2010 is the first year they made them. If you want to stick with a similar hull shape, i've heard the X15 and X2 share many hull characteristics.

to be fair, yes, those 2 nautiques are famous for vertical wakes and being washy, however a 07+ 210 is much less sensitive than the others and will provide a nice wake (you have to really slam them though). Personally, i much prefer the ergonomics of mc vs nautique though.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X7
Send a message via AIM to Tony Webb
Can you put up a good photo of your boat, there are not that many places that you can go where there are not crew members in Victoria or even NSW.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
The quality of the brand should keep you put more than anything else. You will notice a big difference going from the X-2 to a MB or other C and D class boats.

We have a 2012 X-2 for sale along with a 40th X-Star and a 2009 XStar. www.redlinewatersports.com

We have had a couple boats go over to Australia from our dealership.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hi all,
thanks for feedback so far, it still *** not having a boat, but I have many options to get out and still ride with mates.
So Im getting closure from my insurance, and I will receive a payout, but value is still to be determined. So as I continue searching for boats through boat trader, craigslist and boatsales here in Aus, 2007-2009/10 X2's are not that common, in stating this, specific to finding something within price range on dual axle trailer, cos we tow alot here in Aus, and something that doesnt have yellow coloring, and I appreciate its mid winter in the US and peak summer here in Aus.
Is it an option to expand my search to an X15?
feedback appreciated on X15 in comparison to the X2 of the same years as seems to be better priced option on the X15, understanding its not a pickle fork (but I do love the PF), but more so for wake comparison & driveability similarly loaded. I did have the wakemakers additional ballast installed into my X2, rears and bow and the wake was awesome.

thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 04:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
The quality of the brand should keep you put more than anything else. You will notice a big difference going from the X-2 to a MB or other C and D class boats.

We have a 2012 X-2 for sale along with a 40th X-Star and a 2009 XStar. www.redlinewatersports.com

We have had a couple boats go over to Australia from our dealership.

Hi Jason
Thanks for reply, 2012 would be out of my price range, but I recently purchased the MC cooler from you guys, maybe throw in the X2 to compliment it, lol
Btw the service from you guys was great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
that really stinks... post up some more pics - and the hull ID - maybe we can get the boating community in Aussie to keep an eye out for it.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

searching through Boat Trader, the pickle fork X2's pricing seems to have gone upward in past 2 years, whats the story?
Anyway if anyone knows of one for sale or coming up for sale, post up a link
btw: closer to west coast but could arrange transport upto 1500 miles away....I guess

cheers