Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
This is my dash, I have tried the little hex head cap screws but stopped. It was a pain to get at them but if I can loosen them to get at the gauge I will go for it if someone has done it.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Can you reach the back of the gauge from under the dash?

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 01 x30
This is how mine currently looks, but I dont have the front hex. Only the small wing nuts which are accesable from the back side. Try to unscrew the hex or check for wing nuts attached to the back of the hex screws. Should come right out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 PM
MC Fanatic

that looks very similar but mine have the little hex head cap screws with wing nuts on the back. I am afraid that once I get them off how the heck do you get them back on after repair. There is not much room for your hand.

I went out tonight and I think I can get to the nut on the back of the gauge, I would think that would allow the gauge to pull out.

I also did an ohm check on my sender unit and it checked out at 240 ohms at 0 PSI so it should be ok per instructions

Thanks for posting pic and help also
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 PM
MC Fanatic

I got it, your picture pushed me over the limit and I dug in. My hands are killing me and I would like to talk to the design engineer on this one. After removing I did the ohm test and I think I have a bad ground or sender wire. I am assuming the blue wire is my sender wire and the yellow/black wire is my ground. I also used the chassis ground under dash to check. I got a few ohms on the meter but not the 240 like at the sender.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
uplander: i see you pulled the whole gauge assembly. i'm probably about to do the same to see why my volt gauge isn't working. any tips?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:51 PM
MC Fanatic

I would have two people in boat, one up top running the allen wrench and the other under the dash with small hands reaching for the little wing nuts. Take them all out and it will pop right out, you may need to cut a couple zip ties to get full access.

I am going to use aluminum plates and pop rivet them in place where the wing nuts were. Then drill and tap for the hex head cap screws, if it works should be much easier to remove next time.

I also wanted to share this document I found while talking to Faria
Attached Images
File Type: pdf gauge test.pdf (226.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i'll be interesting to see how the backing plates work out. i ended up just loosening mine up and that gave me enough room to take out the volt gauge and the fuel gauge. does the faria method of grounding work for all the gauges?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 PM
MC Fanatic

I am not 100% sure but I have called them and using e-mail and they are answering my questions. Once you get the e-mail it is much easier to ask the questions. I am going to put in the gauge anyway and run a new sender wire also. I will post some pics of my backing plates when done. I have them made just need to purchase drill/tap combo.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 PM
MC Fanatic

I chickened out on the backing plates and went back to the wing nuts. That was a big mistake, my arm and hand are killing me from reaching up in that small area. There is a design engineer laughing somewhere on this design. I think I dropped washers and wing nuts for over an hour.