Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 12-17-2016, 05:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Alternative To Bunk Carpet

I need to replace my trailer bunk boards and carpet (one board is cracked) and was thinking about using one of the plastic alternatives like Ultimate Bunk Boards, Gatorbak or Caliber Wraps. I have read about the Ultimate Boards and people seem happy with them, curious about hull scratches, I have a Protour Red hull and didn't know how these choices would get along with it.

Thought, successes, problems??????
Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft X-Star
I've had these on my trailer and boat lift since about 2008:

http://www.snaptraxx.com/
Old 12-17-2016, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here's a picture of them on the lift...
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2016, 12:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 07 X-Star MCX
Here is some info on gatorbak

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=75678
Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X10
That's a front mount lift right? How do they effect pulling the boat on and off? Does the boat still "stick" when the lift is the down position?

I've always been cautious about using the UBB type of material on a trailer. Lots of sliding,scraping and chance for scratches iMO. On a 4 post lift, there is less of that and I didn't have any issues and I had and black hull.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 AM
MC Addict

I do like the Gatorbak option, however it requires replacing the wood every so many years. The UBB is all plastic and should never need done again. Not sure if either will show scratches in the hull.

The Snaptraxx stuff is nice, but it is the most expensive.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancassidy View Post
That's a front mount lift right? How do they effect pulling the boat on and off? Does the boat still "stick" when the lift is the down position?

I've always been cautious about using the UBB type of material on a trailer. Lots of sliding,scraping and chance for scratches iMO. On a 4 post lift, there is less of that and I didn't have any issues and I had and black hull.
It is a cantilever lift (Carolina Lift out of Townville SC). When I first installed, I had the "slip" sections up front and "grip" sections in the back as the typical setup. With that setup the boat kept sliding back off the lift as I tried to drive it on. I replaced the front couple of sections with the grip ones and those kept the boat in place fine so I could raise the lift without it sliding back off. The owner of the company worked with me over the phone to get the right setup.

On the trailer, it works fine with the typical setup as the latch holds it in place until I pull the trailer out enough for the boat to rest on "grip" sections in the back.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X10
Ha... I thought that lift/dock construction and scenery looked familiar. I just had Earnest install one on my dock weeks ago (we have a place in townville about a mile from his shop. He's a real solid guy to work with!)

I may have to check them out. Any issues with gel coat scratching?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancassidy View Post
Ha... I thought that lift/dock construction and scenery looked familiar. I just had Earnest install one on my dock weeks ago (we have a place in townville about a mile from his shop. He's a real solid guy to work with!)

I may have to check them out. Any issues with gel coat scratching?
Small world. Earnest is a great guy and builds a very nice lift. When I replaced the bunks, the galvanized L-channel steel that fastens the bunks to the lift frame were showing some rust after about 5 years of use. I called Earnest to see if I could buy new ones. He said stop over the shop and he gave me new ones. He said he builds his lifts to last and it wasn't acceptable that they were starting to rust after 5 years. Excellent Customer service.

On the scratching, the Snaptraxx bunks have raised pads that the boat slides on that are more of a softer silicone vs. hard plastic. They actually seem to be less aggressive against the gelcoat than carpet, especially when you get stirred up sand in the carpet fibers.

Last edited by T-bone; 12-20-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM
MC Addict

Leaning toward to Ultimate Bunk Boards and will probably thru bolt, not lag bolt. Lag would be a lot easier, but I figure if I am going to spend the money on the UBB why not do it the longest lasting way.