Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
I had some down time this morning, so I figured I'd share a few pictures of the boat. I obtained it a few seasons back in a swap with another fellow boater.... I needed something more family friendly, and he wanted a go-fast boat that could kill you..... My wife was never more proud of me than when I came home without my old boat.

The previous owner had the engine fully gone through (now only about 150 hours on it), cleaned the rest of it up, replaced a portion of the upholstry where needed, etc. Runs great, looks great, no obvious problems... except the paint scheme. It's shame he took the easy way out and went with a half-@ss stars and stripes pattern vs the original '86 rainbow. Still trying to decide if I go back to the original, or try something new...

Pre-transmission overhaul, the only improvements I've made to date were the fabrication of a new backseat, installation of a bimini so the kiddo has a place to hide from the sun, and I had the prop turned. Otherwise, what you see is what I got.

I like the way it looks and love the interior . What gofast did you get rid of ? That's been one of my sickness' I have had eliminators,stv , skater and currently have a seebold tunnel .
Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1986, 351 Ford PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
What gofast did you get rid of ?
We're kind of getting off the thread topic of "replacing a transmission"... since this boat didn't even have a transmission... but you asked, and I'd love to share it.

She was a flat bottom jet with a built 455 big block. Could easily double the speed of my "new" MC, all the while throwing a 200+ Ft rooster tail.

Over time, it became more trouble than it was worth though... I had to remove the headers after I received a ticket from the po po, and couldn't make it a half mile from the launch without getting pulled over for something stupid every single time out. The cops (and the residents that kept calling the cops) hated that thing.

Overall, I'm enjoying my transition back to sensibility.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
I think the boat looks great! A guy near me has an 86 with the rainbows removed, replaced with Stars and Stripes.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 PM
TT Regular

Anybody have a few hints on how to adjust the transmission mounts on an '86 to align the transmission coupler? The front engine mounts are pretty standard, but I'm confused with what turns what on the tranny mounts.

I can put a bit of pressure on the drive shaft and push it into alignment with the transmission, but it's clear that it isn't quite right, as I assume it should align nicely without any added pressure. As it is, the entire engine needs to be lowered a bit, and then shifted to one side ever so slightly.

Tranny Mount:

Front Engine Mount:

Misalignment:
Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 prostar
Loosen these on each side and you can slide the motor/Trans one way or the other. The large nut is for up and down adjustment.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2014, 07:57 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh970 View Post
Loosen these on each side and you can slide the motor/Trans one way or the other. The large nut is for up and down adjustment.
Thanks.

The problem I'm having is that I thought you loosened the large jam nuts on the transmission mounts, and then turned the top nut to raise or lower the rear of the transmission... but even with the large nuts backed off, turning the small top nut is nearly impossible in either direction. It feels like it's bound up, and then when you turn it, you're flexing the rubber mounts, not actually turning the bolt. Am I doing it correctly and it's just "stuck", or am I missing something?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM
TT Regular

Nevermind.... I figured it out. Just gummed right up. A few hours soak in some penetrating oil and a little (lot) of elbow grease and the mounts are adjusting freely.

Tags
pcm, rebuild, reverse, transmission, velvet