Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
I was qouted $2000 just to rebuild my existing tranny or $2400 to replace with a remanufactured unit.

On top of that, it was $600-700 if I brought them the boat and they needed to perform the removal, reinstallation, alignment, and testing.
I bet they send it out and then tack on some profit. I bet a good transmission shop would do it for a lot less. In the end I would see if Michiganmotorz would give you a core credit... or rebuild it and try to sell it if you have the time and a few extra $$$ for parts.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
People (correct craft fan)talk highly of Eric Levine, who owns fantastic finish marine in Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's well under a $1000.00 to rebuild. You ship it in a milk crate.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
I lost reverse functionality on my 1986 190 Skier last June. Rather than take it down for the summer, I used it for the remainder of the season without issue... granted, also without reverse. But.... it's winter, so it's time to get it fixed.

351 PCM power, Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1:1 71C tranny.

I was qouted about $2600-2700 to remove, rebuild, reinstall and align my existing transmission from the local MC dealer.... which just sounds steep for a 30-year old boat. Especially when I can purchase a brand new, take-off tranny online right now for $1,699.

That said, can anyone provide me with some detail on removing the transmission myself? Is it difficult? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and do alot of my own maintenance, but now live in a home with a smaller garage and limited space. Before I attempt to tackle it, I'm just curious of any potential pitfalls, difficulty, and in the end, how assured I can be that I'll end up with a properly reinstalled (and aligned) tranny.

I've also heard discussions about simply replacing the reverse clutches since the tranny's running fine otherwise..... rather than replacing or rebuilding the entire transmission... Any input?
Time is on your side with this one. Removing, reinstalling, and realigning your trans is definitely in the realm of a shade tree mechanic. Rebuilding one is not rocket science either but as mikeg205 said you will need a shop press and some speciality hand tools. Removing the trans shouldn't take anymore then two hours tops, if you've done it before. Add an hour or two if you learn as you go. Wish you were near me, that trans would be out already.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If you choose to do it yourself, be sure to take lots of pictures as you take everything apart. I have saved myself from having to ask some stupid questions here when there are pics to refer to.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1986, 351 Ford PCM
Anyone know of any good "Haynes-type" manuals to walk me through removal?

For the most part it appears failry straight forward, but I'd like to avoid small set-backs like bending something removing the drive coupler, not re-installing a part in precisely the correct alignment, etc. Sometimes the easist parts to screw up are the ones you don't realize you're screwing up... and a few posts I've read seem to indicate that disconnecting the coupler or pulling the shaft can be a real beotch if done wrong.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1986, 351 Ford PCM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=30227&page=2

This thread actually makes it appear easy... I can't imagine there are huge differences between my MC and his Gekko.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Anyone know of any good "Haynes-type" manuals to walk me through removal?

For the most part it appears failry straight forward, but I'd like to avoid small set-backs like bending something removing the drive coupler, not re-installing a part in precisely the correct alignment, etc. Sometimes the easist parts to screw up are the ones you don't realize you're screwing up... and a few posts I've read seem to indicate that disconnecting the coupler or pulling the shaft can be a real beotch if done wrong.
The complete service manual is here..

you can get the manual http://www.michiganmotorz.com/velvet...FSISMwod0ScAww
Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
People (correct craft fan)talk highly of Eric Levine, who owns fantastic finish marine in Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's well under a $1000.00 to rebuild. You ship it in a milk crate.
+1

I have always heard good feedback on Levine. Good work, fair price. Plug and play results.

I have the service manual for the 70-71 series. I do not have the 72. It's in .pdf if you need it.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
This is a great post liledgy... never heard of this until this post... awesome!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
This is a great post liledgy... never heard of this until this post... awesome!
They have been around a long time.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Tags
pcm, rebuild, reverse, transmission, velvet