Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
Turns out it was a lighter duty compound that probably isn't as good as the heavy duty compound. Will give it a shot.

Anyone used chemical guys pads? On a budget and can't get too crazy with pads from 3m

http://www.chemicalguys.com/category...how=100&page=1
Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Definitely need the heavy duty compound and please take this tip to heart.....

CLEAN THE PAD OFTEN WITH A TOOL OR IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE A SIMPLE METAL FORK FROM THE KITCHEN WILL DO

(Take the buffer at a slow to medium speed and hold the tines of the fork into the spinning pad to loosen and remove the built up compound/oxidation dust.)

This will help more than you know, most love the results after trying wool for the first time with the right compound....then results go down. First thing they do is think adding more compound must be the answer, this (no pun intended) compounds the problem. Keep that sucker clean and make sure it is a new pad. Follow up the buffing with a nice polishing or scratch reducing polish like Finesse 2 and then work your way up until you need to just seal it up with a heavy carnuba wax and apply 3-4 times a season to let it soak in.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

thanks 03gt. I have the tool and a few wool pads to get this going. just waiting for amazon to deliver the products.

what did you use after the finesse it II?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Luke, head to autogeek forum before you get too deep into. There are great articles there about buffing boats. Boats are easy to do with all the flat services. I just did mine this last year. I didn't think it really needed it till I did one little area then realized how much better it looked after I got done.

I would also recommend not wet sanding unless you have to. I'm not sure of your skill level or not so, I'm going to give you some advice. Compound is just like sandpaper it's removing the top layer, which in your case is dull. The less you have to do to get it back shiny the better. I'll give you the steps from hardest starting with one to the final step. You don't have to start with one you may start with 3 based on the condition. I just did my 2012 Audi and started with 4. The further down the chart you start the easier it is because you can't skip polish and top coat (Sealer) With the pictures you downloaded you are for sure going to compound but it may not be necessary to wet sand. By the way I use Lake Country Pads Tangerine, White, Black, Red and Gold is what I use the most.

1. Dry Sand 1000/1500/3000 Grit
2. Wet Sand 1000/1500/3000 Grit
3. Heavy Duty Compound ( I prefer 3M) Tangerine Pad
3A. Medium Cut Compound (I prefer Menzerma) Tangerine Pad
4. Polish (This is actually a lighter compound) It will not have dust most will look like oil when you are buffing (I only use 3M Swirl Eliminator) White or Black Pad
5. Final Coat (This is a sealer of any kind) I prefer Blackfire I place it on by hand and polish it off with the Red or Gold pad

I hope this helps you. Read alot on the autogeek forum it will save you some time. I've done many details and just to give you an idea on how much time I think it will take you should spend about 20+ hours doing it, so don't think this will be a day project. If you do the job in a day it will show take a week to do it and you'll be glad you did. Don't rush and take everything off you can.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Mastercraft X2

Here are some pics of me doing mine this last fall.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
What the... points taken off for goo - looks awesome... tough crowd..
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

yikes...mike has a good eye!

+1 on the shine though, looks good.

Waiting for everything to show up in the mail now so I can get after it...when does amazon deploy their shipping drones?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedeuce View Post
yikes...mike has a good eye!

+1 on the shine though, looks good.

Waiting for everything to show up in the mail now so I can get after it...when does amazon deploy their shipping drones?
envy is an ugly thing...
Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Dont stop til you get it get it!!!!!!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
Dont stop til you get it get it!!!!!!

JTR
dang - thought I found a flaw - but it was crud on my monitor..