Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Menzerna for gelcoat?

Has anybody here tried Menzerna products on gelcoat? A search of the forum turns up no hits on “Menzerna.”

Based on the Menzerna USA and autogeek websites, Menzerna is a long-established German polish manufacturer that is OEM for Mercedes-Benz, Menzerna having developed polish for hard scratch resistant ceramic clear coat that Mercedes moved to some years ago. Apparently, their products are also used on vehicles with conventional automotive clear coat. The Menzerna USA website doesn’t have a marine section, but the automotive section briefly mentions one of their products as appropriate for removing oxidation of gelcoat.

I recently obtained a Flex 3401 and the 3M and Meguiars compound and polish and Lake Country pads BrianM recommends based on his excellent results. I'm starting to use them on the 1994 ProStar 190 I purchased a few months ago. I’m getting some Menzerna products to care for my 2009 Toyota Tacoma.

Menzerna automotive product information

Last edited by lake weir skier; 02-11-2014 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Link malfunction
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Menzerma

I use Menzerma products all the time and love them.

Post some pics of your boat and I can tell you where I would start.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I run a body shop attached to a Toyota dealer and do a ton of work on their products . Be very careful doing any buffing on them as their clear coat is extremely thin . I would almost go so far to say don't using any type of cutting product on a Toyota paint job as you are running a very real risk of burning thru the clear coat .If you burn thru the only option is to re-paint the panel .
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Menzerna for gelcoat?

jgraham37128,

I donít have any photos handy at the moment, but itís got the oyster (off-white) hull with a dark teal major stripe and hot pink minor stripe you commonly see on the 1994 ProStar 190 on this forum. Much of the boat, especially both sides of the bow, are pretty reflective already, though not quite as much as the sides of your much newer boat appear in your photos. However, itís got light to medium oxidation down the left side and across the transom (mostly on the dark teal). Not horrible, but definitely significant room for improvement.

Iíve done test spots with 3m Super Duty Rubbing Compound on a twisted wool Lake Country pad, 3M Finesse-It II on a Lake Country orange foam pad, and Meguiarís Marine High Gloss Polish No. 45 on a Lake Country white foam pad. Iíve got Collinite in liquid and paste form for later.

I think what Iíve got can address the oxidation and get a good result, but I was curious about Menzerna, which I learned about after purchasing the above. What Menzerna have you used on gelcoat on what pads and for what issues? Have you gone all the way from oxidation to finished surface with it? They claim on their website FG 400 Fast Gloss Compound will remove gelcoat oxidation.

Digressing a little, how do you handle things like the edge where the transom and the side of the boat meet? Mine apparently has rubbed up against stuff over the years. Iím a little concerned about putting a pad on a machine, even on my supposedly idiot resistant Flex 3401, on an edge like that. Do it by hand?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
I run a body shop attached to a Toyota dealer and do a ton of work on their products . Be very careful doing any buffing on them as their clear coat is extremely thin . I would almost go so far to say don't using any type of cutting product on a Toyota paint job as you are running a very real risk of burning thru the clear coat .If you burn thru the only option is to re-paint the panel .
Thanks for the warning! I donít want to do a treatment that is worse than the disease, but I want the best shine I can get. I bought this Speedway Blue Metallic 2009 Tacoma a few months back to pull the boat. Casual observers mistake it for a new truck. Yet, it has some very small problem areas, one being a one-eighth inch diameter spot on the roof that is rusted and two others being quarter inch spots on the hood somebody spot painted with a non-matching Blue color. Other than several such tiny areas, the paint looks excellent.

Any comment on the following for my 2009 Tacoma?
  • Carpro Iron x, which is marketed as clear coat safe
  • Since I can feel bumps during a ďbaggie test,Ē claying with mild Meguiarís clay with Meguiarís Quik Detailer for lubrication
  • Menzerna Super Finish 4500 on a Lake Country hybrid black or CCS red or gold finishing pad on a Flex 3401. Autogeekís training director is very high on 4500 and states in his book heís never seen a paint system it wouldnít get the last bit of shine out of and that itís ďBubba Proof,Ē but would you be concerned about even this least aggressive, ultra fine finish procedure on my Toyota?
  • Menzerna Power Lock (sealer)