Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Thats a clean out. Dont remove until you get the drain water below that level.

If you get the drain cleared, you can add a vertical riser to that fitting and a new cap. if it clogs again you can remove the new cap and snake without fear of a spill.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
I always thought clean outs would be installed in such a way that if you were to "snake" the line your snake could only go the one way. If you can wire brush the side by the WFC it may have an arrow pointing downstream. It does look strange due to there's no way to unscrew that top easily.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
I would ask around to your neighbors and confirm if everything in the neighborhood was built with clay sewer/wastewater piping to the city sewer. If so, very good chance of pipe breakage. My sister-in-law had this problem. They found with a camera down the pipe. Also, ground settling at a foundation or otherwise can break old clay pipes.
Unless you have females flushing female things (i.e. tampons and pads) down your pipes or something big and absorbent, it might be hard to get that cling clogged up. The house I lived in at college had a sewer back up due to 4 females living in the house before us and flushing those things. I know because the plumber snaked them out through the cleanout.
Also, if you don't plan to be in the house forever, you can have the plumbers route something through broken clay pipes to clean as much tree root out as possible, but this is a "temporary" fix.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
I would ask around to your neighbors and confirm if everything in the neighborhood was built with clay sewer/wastewater piping to the city sewer. If so, very good chance of pipe breakage. My sister-in-law had this problem. They found with a camera down the pipe. Also, ground settling at a foundation or otherwise can break old clay pipes.
Unless you have females flushing female things (i.e. tampons and pads) down your pipes or something big and absorbent, it might be hard to get that cling clogged up. The house I lived in at college had a sewer back up due to 4 females living in the house before us and flushing those things. I know because the plumber snaked them out through the cleanout.
Also, if you don't plan to be in the house forever, you can have the plumbers route something through broken clay pipes to clean as much tree root out as possible, but this is a "temporary" fix.
I had roots from a Norway Maple in my sewer lateral and the tree is directly over it. The city claims it wouldn't cause this, yet there's nothing else that's close enough to be a problem.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

If you end up with tree roots blocking your line, look into the sleeving technique they can do now right through the pipe. They can put a line into the pipe which is double walled and basically give you a new lined pipe without any digging. Much easier than digging up your whole yard.

As old as that work looks, it's probably not just a simple clog. Tree roots are my bet.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
If you end up with tree roots blocking your line, look into the sleeving technique they can do now right through the pipe. They can put a line into the pipe which is double walled and basically give you a new lined pipe without any digging. Much easier than digging up your whole yard.

As old as that work looks, it's probably not just a simple clog. Tree roots are my bet.
I had someone come in and clear it the first time and did it myself the other few times. A few years ago, the city had the sewers re-lined and I'm pretty sure they scoped the laterals to see whose were clogged. I think they relined mine- I haven't had problems for quite a while. Having posted that, I expect to have a clog, soon. That's how it works.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
had issue with sewer backing up at lake place and called plummer to have it snaked. i had tried but could not get snake to turn corner. plummer said to call sewer company and have pumped. had the place nearly 10 years, septic tank pumped when purchased, and system does not heavy use. anyway, turned out one of our guests had flushed some of those moisturizing bu## wipes which are not bio degradable and consequently had clogged to sump pump resulting in it burning up. soooooooooooo, if you are on septic, sump pump may be your problem.