Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Snowboard trip to Colorado- Recommendations

Am going on a couple day snowboard trip with some buddies. We are flying into Denver and looking for a decent hill within a couple hours drive. None of us know the area well and are looking for recommendations. We want lots of powder filled chutes and tree trails and great terrain for free riding. Also want good night life and to be able to stay right at the hill.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I'd recommend Breckenridge for the best night life, followed up by Vail. Breckenridge is a pretty big mountain with some decent terrain on the far left peak (don't remember the peak #). Also, if you take the Imperial Express to the top and traverse over to the backside, there are some good glade runs there. Vail is better known for it's huge open bowls. My complaint about Vail is you kind of have to pick one lift and stay there for a while, otherwise you spend the day traversing if you try to bounce around different lifts. Arapahoe Basin has some really good terrain if you're willing to hike some. I recommended Breckenridge since it's got the best night life and is centrally located which allows you to drive to other resorts if you want something different.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I second Breck. Spent two weeks there last Feb and it was great as well as the night life. I wasn't as keen on A Basin, but you might enjoy it. I guess it's worth a shot if you have the multi-pass.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Can't hit any of those resorts without a day at A-basin!

Get there early, grab a spot on the beach and do a little tailgating between runs!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
I also recommend Breckenridge based on what you're looking for. Its a little closer to Denver than some of the other resorts as well. I actually went o breck a few years back with a buddy and had a great time. Nightlife is slightly better with a younger crowd versus some other resorts.

Vail is my all time favorite but Breck might be better for a guys trip IMHO.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Hard to recommend a place with your criteria. I second the nightlife in Breck! On the other hand, Breck would not be a place that would come to mind for the type of riding you are looking for.

Based on your criteria you should be looking at Jackson Hole or Whistler...you would get the terrain and nightlife you are looking for in either of those areas.

Back on topic...Like others have said, you may want to look at staying in Breckenridge and taking day trips to other resorts.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
If you stay in Breck you are less than an hour to A basin, Keystone, Copper, Vail and beaver creek.
For on the mtn lodging some nightlife and great skiing without any travel I'd personally go to Winter Park though.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Breck is great, but not really something I go to when I want to hit the trees. When I lived out there I would usually would ride Copper for trees, Breck for normal runs, and Vail for the back bowls.

Breck has the best night life but that said you are within reason to all of the major areas. But the resorts are not setup the best for quick access to the nightlife, usually need to cab it or horse carriage. Copper has the best resort access to clubs but it's not as active as Breck.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
Pick any place in summit county to stay that fits your budget and go where the snow is best that day to ride. I'd say breck is a good base. You can drive to copper, keystone a basin in less than an hour from there depending on conditions. If the passes are clear you can be in vail, beaver creek or Loveland in not much more time. If the weather is bad stay in summit, you'll waste too much time in traffic.
As a boarder I'd skip winter park/ Mary Jane and we own a condo there. It's not the riding you described and there is no night life. That place is a ghost town by 7pm.

2010 X-14v
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique
Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstukey View Post
As a boarder I'd skip winter park/ Mary Jane and we own a condo there. It's not the riding you described and there is no night life. That place is a ghost town by 7pm.
this.