Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, ProStar 190, 1996, Chevy 350
Send a message via AIM to wats218
Sewer is backed up

Woke up this morning and the sewer seems to be backed up. We have a utility sink in the basement that the washer drains into. It is the lowest drain in the house and had about 3" of water in it. I called the township and am waiting for them to take a look at their side. There is a cast iron piece where the sewer enters/exits my house that has a little water on the top of it. Does anyone know what this piece is and what it does? Attached is a picture. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2014, 02:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
looks as if that is the sewer line cleanout ... dont open that up or else you might have a pool in your basement ...
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I bet you need to have a plumber run a snake through the main line in your house.

The house I lived in growing up had plumbing problems. The plumber would come snake the pipes and it would fix it for a while. Finally they ran a camera down into the pipe. A tree root had cracked the pipe causing a real problem. The foundation had to be torn up and cut out so that the pipe could be repaired. It was a huge pita

Hopefully your problem is not as big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
What ever you do dont open it up. If you find the township lines are open, look for a clean-out higher than your laundry tub first.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, ProStar 190, 1996, Chevy 350
Send a message via AIM to wats218
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping its nothing major, but there is a pretty large weeping cherry tree right over top of where my sewer line runs. If the township says their lines are clear, I think I'm going to run a snake from a cleanout that I have right next to the utility sink. If that doesn't work I'll have to get a plumber in.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Wouldn't that be a inline check valve (one-way valve)? That's what it looks like to me. Regardless, don't take it apart.
Your clean outs should be approx 4-8" inches off the floor and appear to be at a 45 dgeree angle.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
Just for the heck of it- give it a couple of taps (gentle of course) if it is a check valve maybe it would release it. Nothing to lose.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthelake View Post
Wouldn't that be a inline check valve (one-way valve)? That's what it looks like to me. Regardless, don't take it apart.
Your clean outs should be approx 4-8" inches off the floor and appear to be at a 45 dgeree angle.
Kinda looks like a check valve to me too (but I'm in the natural gas business so not positive).

I've had my rental mainline cleaned out a few times already. Mainly due to tree roots coming in. As long as you maintain (yearly cleaning), you might be OK. I've used the "claw" type cleaning and the hydropressure cleaning. Can't tell you the better one but the big thing is maintain. If the roots get too big, it opens up the hole bigger and then you may be looking at a new line.

Also, when done, send a camera down it to see what's going on. I think tree roots are pretty common....

1994 205, LT1
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
that is a cleanout
Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 PM
MC Master Poster

That doesn't seem to have the raised square on it, for removing when it needs to be cleaned out. It may have been intended as an inlet at construction, but capped off. If you scrape around the cover's perimeter and see lead and what looks like rope impregnated with wax (oakum), it's not a clean-out and is supposed to be permanent. It may have had tar dripped into the joint, too.