Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
I run a large body shop that does work with a vw dealer . In my opinion not a fan of vw they are safe vehicles but very costly to repair and complicated . you will get to know the dealer well as they constantly trip codes which only the dealer can clear and require quite a bit of maintanence . We have actually had ghosts in the machine after a major accident that the dealer couldn't figure out . Very complicated systems that shouldn't be like the way the wipers work . I would look at what Toyota has to offer we have a rav4 with a v6 that tows our 190 like a dream . I know vw owners are very loyal and I will probably get hammered on for some of this but it is just my opinion
I thought your body shop ran with a Toyota dealer?

Quick everyone! Go buy a tundra! It tows the space shuddle!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
we work with several dealers-specialty is audi structural aluminum as well as Porsche and Mercedes and the vette z06 . We are even Lamborghini certified
Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Everyone always talks about the bad, never the good...

Everyone is a fan of the Porsche and it's 80% VW Parts and 20% higher in price!

All domestic owners are haters of the German technology and fit and finish...

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
My family currently owns a vw, a porsche, an audi and I have a bmw. We also have a ford f150. Fit and finish of german cars are far superior to domestic, but I cant comment on the new touareg. German cars need a little more love than american, bit wouldn't call them unreliable or the dealer triggers codes that only they can clear is a flat out lie.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
My family currently owns a vw, a porsche, an audi and I have a bmw. We also have a ford f150. Fit and finish of german cars are far superior to domestic, but I cant comment on the new touareg. German cars need a little more love than american, bit wouldn't call them unreliable or the dealer triggers codes that only they can clear is a flat out lie.
did not mean that the dealer trips codes the vehicle is so heavily monitored it does that on its own and I would agree that fit and finish on most European cars is far superior to u.s. or Asian manufacturers .
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
I run a large body shop that does work with a vw dealer . In my opinion not a fan of vw they are safe vehicles but very costly to repair and complicated . you will get to know the dealer well as they constantly trip codes which only the dealer can clear and require quite a bit of maintanence . We have actually had ghosts in the machine after a major accident that the dealer couldn't figure out . Very complicated systems that shouldn't be like the way the wipers work . I would look at what Toyota has to offer we have a rav4 with a v6 that tows our 190 like a dream . I know vw owners are very loyal and I will probably get hammered on for some of this but it is just my opinion
And this is the reason why nobody should ever purchase ANY vehicle after its been involved in a major accident!!!

also everybody knows that the only REAL tow vehicles are your 1 ton - quad cab - duelly - diesel - american pick up.... lol
Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Not downing foreign cars, but it is hard to beat a Yucon for reliability and cost of ownership. It might be lacking some of the "cool" factor of driving a European SUV but when there are competent mechanics able to work on it in every city in the USA, you get a certain piece of mind if you are planning longer trips.

Last edited by drschemel; 12-31-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Quote:
I know this is off topic but unless you are only towing your 190 a half mile on flat ground and not launching with it your crazy. I used to tow my 190 with a v6 Highlander and it was not a dream. With 4 guys in the car and a full tank of gas it was all over the place and didn't feel very safe, my tow is about 40 minutes mostly flat with only 1 small hill.

We now tow with a 2013 Yukon and that tows like a dream, you almost forget the boat is back there.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM
MC Fanatic

towed over 500 miles when I bought it with 3 guys in the rig and literally didn't know it was back there other than it had a negative effect on the gas mileage . I also own an f150 quad cab but the rav gets way better gas mileage
Old 12-31-2013, 04:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
I can't speak for '07 - I have a '12 V6-TDI - 30K, not a single problem

8 speed tranny, tows my X25 like it is not really there, low end torque is amazing, runs towing at 1800 - 2500 RPM at 70-80 MPH, 7th & 8th gear, 6th on real steep hills to do 70 and about 2900 RPM. All around milage is 29, 14 towing, but I am not shy about my tow habits!

Handling is amazing for a vehicle just shy of 5000lbs. Some question the size for towing with respect to stopping, not an issue, tracks perfect and stops in emergency situations straight and true.
Ditto for me 'cept I tow an '06 X2 with mine. We traded out of an '04 Tahoe into the Touareg Tdi and it has been the best choice we have made.

My advice would be to look at the 2011 and newer models as they have the 8 speed transmissions and get the best every day fuel mileage. We wouldn't trade ours for anything else.