Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Tahoe to Touareg

I currently drive a 2003 Tahoe and am considering purchasing a 2005-2007 Touareg. Since I would have to drive quite a distance to test drive, I am wondering if those of you who have one or are in the know could share thoughts about the Touareg.

How would it actually compare to the Tahoe in

MPG
Ride
Suspension
Rear seat room
Reliability
Towing (Maristar 210 with single axle trailer...dealer said I could pull with V6 but I am hesitant to believe him)

I am looking for something a bit smaller, more nimble, yet still able to tow well.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Be careful. I KNOW some were prone to tranny problems. Also, a friend was getting ready to buy one (not Touarag) but a VW for his wife recently and his mechanic said "think about how many newer era VW's you see around? He explained: "they just aren't a vehicle that goes high mileage like Toyota's, Honda's, etc". One last comment. My wife's ex husband bought one new and said her will give it to her for college graduation. She told us, not him.."I don't want Dad's Touareg, it's a pile". How many kids will turn down a free car? There must be reasons.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 190, 89, Indmar 454
I'm a huge fan of VW TDI engines. You can't beat the fuel economy out of the diesel engines. However, the VW automatic transmissions are known to fail and when they do, nobody wants to work on them.

Mostly, I think the VW engines are good and long lasting. However, they are quirky and out of the ordinary.

When researching longevity, I go to car-part.com and search for engines and transmissions. It's a conglomerate junk yard website. You can sort by mileage and see what some car's mileage was when they were wrecked.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I've heard similar things on the older Touareg's too. A lot of electrical issues and drivetrain issues. Very similar to the Porsche Cayenne. I think by 2009 or 2010, you are in a better quality vehicle. My wife LOVES the Touareg's, so of course, I've looked at Cayennes.

That twin turbo is awesome, and the Touareg's don't have that option. However, the VW is a lot cheaper!

If you can get it certified at a VW dealer, at least you have a little more piece of mind to 100k.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
If you take good care of the T-REG high milage should not be an issue. Just stick to the recommended service intervals, use the recommended oil/filter(important), and in addition to the recommendation do an ATF/filter Change every 60.000mls/90.000km. We have three TDI/automatic Passat as company cars with well over 150.000mls/250.000km with not much of an issue...

Friend of mine has had a 2007 240hp V6 TDI for 3 years and still loves it, but can't say much more about it.
How about upgrading to a 2010+ TDI? If you're seriously thinking milage and towing the TDI's the better (torquier) choice then that guzzling V6 Gasser, although I just remembered Gas is cheaper then Diesel in North America, in Germany it's the other way around.

I personally drive a 2012 V8TDI (only offered in Europe and nobody knows for how much longer), love the mountain of toque, the ride comfort, the silence and the Autobahn abilities
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
I have a 2004 Touareg V8 with 93K miles. I purchased the vehicle new in 2004 So I can answer your questions.
Tranny are great. Its a Japanese built 6-speed that have been very reliable. It is not the same tranny that are used in other VW cars. Try to get the V8. The V6 has a different instrument cluster and wire harness and they do seem to have electrical problems

What I would look for:
Get the V8 or a Diesel
Get one that has the Air Suspension
Make sure the car comes with All Season Tires. Many people ordered the Summer Tires because they "looked Cool" but when winter came and they got stuck or couldnt stop they blamed it on the Touareq...lol
Remember at 80K it needs the Timing belt replaced. VW went with a Timing chain in 2007.
The Diesel's are great. 2004-2007 they had a V10 Diesel
Mine has been very reliable. This year I had to replace the 9 year old battery and oil changes. Thats it.

Where in the midwest do you live? If you live around Milwaukee you and your wife can test drive mine. I tow my 2003 Prostar 209 with a single axel trailer. You cant even tell the trailer is on it.

This vehicle has been the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned many American and Japanese cars. Funny how people keep telling me I should sell it because they "heard" that they are junk...lol
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskof View Post
Make sure the car comes with All Season Tires. Many people ordered the Summer Tires because they "looked Cool" but when winter came and they got stuck or couldnt stop they blamed it on the Touareq...lol
Or get a second set of real winter tires, you won't believe how much of a difference they make. I know most people in North America don't like changing wheels... but when the Austrians get dumped and make snow chains mandatory on certain mountain roads/passes it's either snow chains OR all-wheel drive and winter tires, that should tell something...
oh and btw, I was going 120+ mph with those same winter tires on the Autobahn just an hour earlier
Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 AM
MC Fanatic

deleted, double post
Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
We had a 2004 and still have our 2008. Never had any issues and the V8 tows like a dream. I would stay away from the 2004-2007 V6 as the new 3.6 in the 2008+ is a far better engine hands down.

TDI in the 2004-2007 range was the V10 and could pull a 747! The V8 is the rock solid 4.2 used in the Audi's and will never die.

some issues were around with the transmission software and the carrier bearing on the transaxle but those once fixed you should be good to go.

Fuel economy on the 2004-2007 V8 will net you about 50-60km less per tank than the newer 2008+ model V8.

I love the air suspension as it really makes a huge difference when hooking up a trailer such as my x-star. Never squats and rides level.

Some people had issues, but we never had any on the two that we had.

Currently have 123,000kms on the 2008 and it's as good as brand new, no rattles, no problems and only regular service. Brakes last about 60-80,000kms if you drive like a truck. If you drive like a sports cars watch out with brake intervals of 25-35,000kms reported...

6 piston calipers in front and 4 piston in rear do a great job but can chew pads for breakfast!

Snow tire obviously recommended for winter driving in heavy snow conditions... you do have to stop 5400lbs!

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Or get a second set of real winter tires, you won't believe how much of a difference they make. I know most people in North America don't like changing wheels... but when the Austrians get dumped and make snow chains mandatory on certain mountain roads/passes it's either snow chains OR all-wheel drive and winter tires, that should tell something...
oh and btw, I was going 120+ mph with those same winter tires on the Autobahn just an hour earlier
+1 Winter tires will make any vehicle go over ice and snow like a snowmobile with studs

What kind of winter tires do you use?

Last edited by fskof; 12-31-2013 at 12:09 PM.