Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
Advice on first wakeboard for Myself and the Girls

Looking for some advice from the seasoned wake boarding crowd regarding first boards for myself and for my daughters (possibly my wife as well).

Background:
Me:
47, 6', 195 lbs size 10-1/2 to 11 tennis shoe
Recreational openwater slalom skier with zero experience on a wakeboard or snowboard.
Not likely to find me inverted behind the boat at any point in the near future, but I will certainly be looking to complete wake to wake jumps.

I was considering a 54" Byerly Monarch for myself. I'd like for the board to be versatile and to be shared between friends we take out on the boat, so open bindings would probably be better.

The Girls:
11 and 13 (will be 12 & 14 by summer), slightly over 5' tall, about 95 lbs size 7 & 8 shoes
Both girls learned how to ski last summer when we bought the boat and the oldest has set a goal to learn to slalom ski next summer as well.

For the girls, I really have no idea where to start... My wife may also try the board also, she wears the same size shoes.

Any advice from the veterans here would be appreciated.
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
For you, look at an intermediate board. Beginner single fins will be frustrating as you try surface tricks. Look for a shallow removable twin fin.
Weight is in between a 137 and 141 board. I am 185#. Used to ride a 137 but found a bargain 141 Byerly and took a chance. 141 is easier to get up on but a little bulky.

No offense but face plants in your 40's hurt the neck and body a lot longer than the kids. I started boarding at 30. At 41 and fit enough for triathlons and daily training, find myself more concerned with thoughts of what happens when I come down wrong and how long I could be laid up from work which is not the mind set you want for success.
I find myself enjoying the surfboard more.

133 should be about right for both girls and wife (although you don't mention her weight)
Should be able to find quality gear that kids have outgrown if you keep your eyes on craigslist, etc as Spring approaches.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

For someone your size I wouldn't go less than 141. I'm 5'10, 185. I used to ride a 141 and switched to a 145 and like it a lot better. To me it feels easier to control, though some would consider it slightly large for me. For the girls I wouldn't go bigger than a 128. Same reason, easier control for their size. I ride with 3 females that range in size from 5'2 - 5'7 and weigh 100-130. They had been riding a 137, which was obviously too big, and switched to a ronix krush 128 and love it. I ride a slingshot response, made in America. I would look for something with a continuous rocker. Good pop off the wake and smoother landings since your looking to go wake to wake. Lots of sites on the internet where you can find deals or it's always nice to support your local board shop if you have one, plus you can checkout the board in person before you buy. Have fun.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Since I used to sell them, I would recommend the liquid force trip 138 if you were looking to get one board for all. This would be the smallest I would go for you,but would be a little on the larger side for the girls but they would see a benefit to this since it is a larger board it will have more surface area for them so it will be more stable and pop the, out of the water a little quicker. This board has 6 fins, which all could be removable down the road. A few places offer this board as a package with adjustable bindings.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Pick up a hyperlite tribute 141 for yourself. Its a great beginner to intermediate board woth the molded fins and the optional fins that come with the board. Its a continuous rocker, so starting wake jumps wont be as abrupt as a three stage. Also the rails on the tribute are very forgiving. The tribute is a great board for sure. I learned my first invert on it, and it was a great tool to progress with wake to wake jumps due to the fact that continuous gives you a bit more speed and airtime vs a 3 stage that is slow and very poppy off the wake.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I agree with mastercraft13, the trip is a great all-around board for most people. I would go with a Trip 134 for the ladies, and a 142 for yourself. I would recommend a Lyman board too if you can find one used/leftover. Keith took many traits of the Trip and carried those over into his Lyman board. (I ride a 139 Lyman, love it)
Watson bindings are very comfy too so you may want to try on a pair.

Oh and 47 is not to old to wakeboard.....I'm 51, learn to ride at 43. If you learn proper technique the falls won't be too bad. Get coached from someone that knows how to teach.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
I've got an older LF Trip 133 that would work for the ladies in your life. It has some small DoubleUp ultra clamp boots. It's been in the rafters of my garage for a few years, but it's a clean board. It has a few black marks on the bottom from rails, but it's just marks, no gouges. I'm all for furthering the sport. Pay the shipping and it's yours. I'm at Lake Louise for a few days, but I'll upload a pic when I get home. Let me know.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Albertasurfer, you have a deal. I'll PM you my contact info when I get home tonight.

You Rock!
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
I've got an older LF Trip 133 that would work for the ladies in your life. It has some small DoubleUp ultra clamp boots. It's been in the rafters of my garage for a few years, but it's a clean board. It has a few black marks on the bottom from rails, but it's just marks, no gouges. I'm all for furthering the sport. Pay the shipping and it's yours. I'm at Lake Louise for a few days, but I'll upload a pic when I get home. Let me know.
Nice gesture AlbertaSurfer! Teamtalk members are the most generous people around!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 PM
MC Fanatic

I've sent AlbertaSurfer my contact information and I informed him that I will return the favor to another TeamTalk member once the girls either decide they need a newer board, or they decide that they would rather ski.

This will be an awesome way for the girls to try it out and see if it's for them.

Thanks again to AlbertaSurfer for his generosity.

This place, and the members here are awesome!
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719