Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I mounted a Guest 2611 charger in the boat next to the power switch. It is a 3 stage dual battery charger. When putting the boat away, I simply plug in the charger and forget about it.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydog View Post
Thanks for the info. Does this make sense: Since I have 2 batteries, 1 for audio and 1 for starting, I will get a single bank shore charger and use that after every trip to charge the audio battery. The starting battery should remain pretty much fully charged if I use it to only start the boat and charge it anytime the boat is running using the alternator.

Also any suggestions on a good single battery that could power my 3 amp set up for a good portion of the day, assuming I will be shore charging it every night.
Honestly, I would go with a 2-bank charger. Even though the main cranking battery rarely gets depleted, a 2-bank smart charger will keep it maintained and conditions during the off season or long periods of no use.

I would go with the largest/highest Ah AGM battery you can fit, if only going with a single house battery.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Custom Wrap
I have no idea what a high Ah battery is? My current battery is just a low end AutoZone battery. When talking Ah, what is a decently high rating?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
my preference from 35 years of dumping money into this pit

Last machine I powered with xx> 'battery's' <xx was for a dual system setup. I used two Interstates (proven time and time again) rated at 750 cold cranking amps. Put one each smart chargers ($50 x 2) on them, keep them plugged in year-round when not in use and forget about it. You're wearing yourself out...

Note: for three amps on one battery, I'd consider a third battery wired parallel to support the three amps.

If you choose a fancy deep-cycle whatever, you also should keep similar type batteries (i.e. three Interstates or three gels OR deep-cycle vs. non-deep-cycle standards).

These gel ==> 'batteries' <== are fine for whomever wants them. I ran them for several years and I didn't need anything close to that supposed capacity of performance. Not impressed at all with Optima and their warranty honors (or lack of) for what they think they are worth.

My opinion on the path of best choice is use the two (or three) Interstates, isolate them for your use, upgrade your alternator (a new one or upgrade with a rebuild mod), put in a heavier gauge wire to the starter from the alternator for proper charging, terminal block fuses, and use fresh cables (2 GA) for the main lines. Done deal. Forget about these bells and whistles... I'd forgo the switch too (contrary to my picture.. too late). Just an added layer of crapola.

Here's a place that will furnish the cables with tinned wire and shrink connections. Can't beat their prices or service. http://www.genuinedealz.com/

In process work on a 93 Prostar

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 12-31-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
What's the black box with the yellow stripe in the middle?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
What's the black box with the yellow stripe in the middle?
That'd be a Blue Seas Automatic Charging Relay if I am not mistaken.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Quote:
I have no idea what a high Ah battery is? My current battery is just a low end AutoZone battery. When talking Ah, what is a decently high rating?
Rydog, high Ah is "amp hours" and it is basically a measure of a battery's strength. So while voltage remains fixed (technically) at 12 volts, the amp hours reflect the stamina, or how long (hours) the battery can deliver a decent amount of current (amps). Hope that helps. There are much smarter people than me on this topic that I am sure would be more eloquent in explaining!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
When looking at a cranking/starting battery, you would want one with a high CA = cranking amp. For a house battery, you'ld want one with a high Ah = amp hour. Its a measurement of the batteries ability to deliver a set amperage for a length of time while maintaining above a usable voltage level.

With deep-cycle and AGMs, their Ah rating typically falls in line with its size. Larger/heavier battery = higher Ah. Most batteries are sized according to a group number, but not all. A typical marine deep-cycle group-24, commonly used as an OEM battery, will have in the neighborhood of 65 Ah and a larger group-29 might have about 100.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Custom Wrap
Alright I understand what you mean now. When I was buying batteries last summer I do not think I looked at the Ah rating at all, only CA....Is there anyway to calculate, based on the amps that will be hooked up to the battery, how long a certain battery with X Ah will last, approximately?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Alright I understand what you mean now. When I was buying batteries last summer I do not think I looked at the Ah rating at all, only CA....Is there anyway to calculate, based on the amps that will be hooked up to the battery, how long a certain battery with X Ah will last, approximately?
Its an estimate at best because the amps current draw is never constant, even with the volume at a set level.