Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Ecoboost 150 (along with the Ecodiesel Ram) is on my short list for a replacement to the Avalanche but I am waiting for the release of the 2015 towards the end of next year which we should see at the Detroit Autoshow next month.

My reading seems to say the humidity/stall issue has been fixed.

the gear heads at work say the TSB doesn't fix the stall issue, I guess there are some shade tree mechanics that are drill a 1/16th in hole in the bottom of the intercooler (paraphrased) to allow the pooled water to drain.

one dude at work says he can make it stall at will
Old 12-22-2013, 02:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
So I have pulled 500 miles with the truck about 200 with a 190 and another 300 with my X14 and the X1.. This truck is awesome.. No proab no stalls power losses.. It just wants to pull.. I was going 75 mph with the X1 and still could pass people with lots of power to go. I have only driven trucks for the passed 20 years and this is the best to date .. also drives like a dream around town.. Some people say they ride rough but hey its a TRUCK if you want a soft ride dont buy one.. I Haul motorcycles or boats almost on a every other day basis .. Love this truck
Old 12-22-2013, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
First, use an oil the meets at least the minimum specs that Ford requires. All Fords come with semi-syn from the factory and that is what you will get if you go there for an oil change.

The oil monitor system in the truck doesn't "test" the oil, it just monitor's miles and hours to come up with a "time" to change the oil. You can change that "time" in the computer settings.

Change the oil whenever you want. Also, your truck computer isn't set up for "severe duty" (towing) in the manner that you are using it, according to the manual. Keep that in mind for whatever decision you come up with on changing the oil

I have had my 13 EB for a year now and still love it. 25K miles later and no stall issues. The 13 truck got a redesigned intercooler. I live in FL, so humid is part of daily life.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Whats everyone recommend for full synthetic and oil filter..
Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I take mine to Ford every 5000 miles and let them use the oil they recommend.
Not going to risk any warranty issue later on by doing it myself (yuk) or using Jiffy Lube.

The dealer I bought it from said I can go 7500 miles between changes but I won't do that.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I take mine to Ford every 5000 miles and let them use the oil they recommend.
Not going to risk any warranty issue later on by doing it myself (yuk) or using Jiffy Lube.

The dealer I bought it from said I can go 7500 miles between changes but I won't do that.

Best advice. Do not take this the wrong way, but showing how problematic these motors can be (major issues mostly have been fixed, as previously talked about) I wouldnt risk it anywhere else but ford.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
For oil filters, do a quick internet search for independent oil filter tests. These are just people who do tests on their own, so you don't get advertiser input/backing. By using that info, when I change my own oil, I use Mobil 1 filters. K&N, Wix, and Royal Purple are also made quite well. Stay away from Fram or any "cheap" filter.

There are tons of oil threads.

Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel pretty much always has a coupon online for oil changes. I go there for every change in my Fusion and F150. I think I paid under $20 for oil change and tire rotation last time.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
I know this might cause a riot but with these new eco boost twin turbo motors what is everyone using ??? coming up on 1000 miles and want to do a first oil change. Was thinking of going to use a full synthetic and from reading these turbos need cleanest oil to keep their life span. How often is everyone changing and are you even going by miles or by the oil life monitor in the truck. ?
Why don't you just use what the manufacturer recommends? Do you think that people on this site are smarter than the people who designed and built the engine, and are on the hook for warranty repairs for 3-5 years?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Because its peoples thoughts and tests.. Thats kind of like the same thinking as ok is wont do any research like when a manufacture makes a major recall on a safety part.. What were they to good not catch the proab at the manufacture ???? they make those recalls because it alot of people using a product finding faults along the way and then complaining about the same proab.. Its just research I do it on just about everything.. just like to get multiple thoughts, opinions, and input then make my decision. I have asked 2 different ford places and gotten 2 different answers..
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Why don't you just use what the manufacturer recommends? Do you think that people on this site are smarter than the people who designed and built the engine, and are on the hook for warranty repairs for 3-5 years?
I would say the user and knowledge base of this site far exceeds the manufacturers - especially after we stay at a holiday inn ---