Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
You can try to pick that bolt up with a magnet, that will tell you if its SS or not. For an exhaust bolt, I would use a grade-8 coated with anti-seize. Dissimilar metals will react together. This will corrode the threads and bind the bolt in the manifold. As soft as SS is, the head will likely snap before the bolt breaks loose. We see this with aluminum towers and SS hardware in the joints.
But dissimilar metals won't fuse together, if they're chosen correctly. That's the reason stainless or brass screws and bolts are often used with aluminum or steel. Plumbing parts that may need replacement, like valves, drains, faucets and plugs are often brass or bronze for this reason. Stainless still has steel in it, so it can rust/be attracted by a magnet, just not well. Aluminum being the reactive metal it is, benefits from anodizing if it's to be expected to avoid corrosion but even that doesn't work if the metals abrade each other, as you know.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Cheap imported "stainless steel" will likely be poor quality SS or even just be plated in SS. Higher quality SS may not have enough carbon steel to be picked up by a magnet.
It doesn't need to be carbon steel to be picked up by a magnet- the carbon content is just a variation of what's in it, affecting the ability to hold an edge, conduct heat, malleability, etc. It's the iron that causes it to be magnetically permeable.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
replace and use hardened bolts - use anti-seize - tighten to appropriate spec - good and tight for me... inspect and maintain. my .02.

I will be replacing my exhaust bolts this season - but need a torque wrench... before I handle that project. Lumbergh changed his for piece of mind - so I will do the same... one at a time should allow the seal to remain in place...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
replace and use hardened bolts - use anti-seize - tighten to appropriate spec - good and tight for me... inspect and maintain. my .02.

I will be replacing my exhaust bolts this season - but need a torque wrench... before I handle that project. Lumbergh changed his for piece of mind - so I will do the same... one at a time should allow the seal to remain in place...
If you use the same style of machine screws, get the ball end hex keys to tighten them- they work great and make this a much easier job than the usual Allen wrench.

Good and tight doesn't require a torque wrench, just the ability to feel the force used and being consistent from bolt to bolt.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If you use the same style of machine screws, get the ball end hex keys to tighten them- they work great and make this a much easier job than the usual Allen wrench.

Good and tight doesn't require a torque wrench, just the ability to feel the force used and being consistent from bolt to bolt.
Tighten it down until you hear it crack, then back if off half a turn...good to go.
Only kidding
Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post

going to get a torque wrench for the exhaust manifold bolts - those I want to spec plus I can use one on those...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
going to get a torque wrench for the exhaust manifold bolts - those I want to spec plus I can use one on those...
When you reach .015" bolt-stretch, it's tight enough.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Also important to use a torque wrench when installing wheels.................especially new wheels.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Indmar sells a kit that has 4 new SS hex bolts and the gasket. Its like $15.

I did both sides on mine just for MCOCD.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Also important to use a torque wrench when installing wheels.................especially new wheels.

Hand tight and a quarter turn isn't good enough? :-)