Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
I am thinking about selling my X1 single axle trailer and puchasing a boatmate dual axle trailer. I am trying to figure out what it is worth compared to the upgrade. I also want to get the paint over galvanized in case I ever want to put it in the river. What is the factory trailer worth.

Like new and always garage kept.

Last edited by sallen; 12-21-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-Star
I don't know what they're worth, but I wish I had one in that condition. Just got mine back from the dealer and they said it had excessive rust and that getting the brakes repaired would cost me about $2000. I also checked the date on the tires and they are 2006, so I'll need those as well. Haven't checked the bearings yet. The PO took great care of the boat, but looks like he ignored the trailer.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I don't know what they're worth, but I wish I had one in that condition. Just got mine back from the dealer and they said it had excessive rust and that getting the brakes repaired would cost me about $2000. I also checked the date on the tires and they are 2006, so I'll need those as well. Haven't checked the bearings yet. The PO took great care of the boat, but looks like he ignored the trailer.
You can rebuild your entire brake system for ~ $500 or less (and it's a relatively easy and straight forward project). Convert to disc brakes for about the same, all new stuff. $2000 is a huge gouge but coming from a dealer, it's not surprising...

Rust is no surprise either, as you would expect. Where a common weak point in the trailer frame: when the goobs that cut an opening in the tube steel to route the metal hydraulic lines out of the interior of the tube and route to the (exterior) disc or drum, they typically use a flame cut method (from all that I have looked). This leaves a jagged and uneven opening in the tube, making an easy point for stress to migrate, (stress-riser point) for a crack to begin. There's the beginning of the end.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks. I have been reading the posts here on trailers and watching youtube videos to see what I can do on my own. You are spot on about the weak point in the trailer. Looks like it collapsed on the PO. I am new to boats and trailers so I'll just quote what I got from the dealer: Found brake lines removed from axle and trailer rail. Caliper lines have been open to water/air, most likely rusted frozen inside. Trailer has excessive rust. Looks like trailer collapsed in the middle and when reinforcing repair was made, hole for brake line was welded over with patch. Master cylinder line in tongue rusted off and not connected to anything. Master cylinder has fresh fluid in it but is probably rusted inside preventing fluid from pumping out rusted line. Needs master cylinder, most likely hitch shock, rubber tongue line, new hard line for trailer, rubber line to axle, T fitting, hard lines for axle to calipers, new calipers, bleed brakes and test. Approx 6 hrs to repair.

I pull with a Sequoia, so I don't notice a lack of brakes, but the rust and wheels are certainly a concern. If Sallen was closer, I'd certainly be interested in upgrading to something more dependable.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Yikes

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Yikes
I know. And I wouldn't have known any better without reading this site. The tires look great. Also, all three (spare included) are at 50 PSI while the tire (Marathon) states 65. I assume that was intentional, but don't know why PO would have them at 50.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Thanks. I have been reading the posts here on trailers and watching youtube videos to see what I can do on my own. You are spot on about the weak point in the trailer. Looks like it collapsed on the PO. I am new to boats and trailers so I'll just quote what I got from the dealer: Found brake lines removed from axle and trailer rail. Caliper lines have been open to water/air, most likely rusted frozen inside. Trailer has excessive rust. Looks like trailer collapsed in the middle and when reinforcing repair was made, hole for brake line was welded over with patch. Master cylinder line in tongue rusted off and not connected to anything. Master cylinder has fresh fluid in it but is probably rusted inside preventing fluid from pumping out rusted line. Needs master cylinder, most likely hitch shock, rubber tongue line, new hard line for trailer, rubber line to axle, T fitting, hard lines for axle to calipers, new calipers, bleed brakes and test. Approx 6 hrs to repair.

I pull with a Sequoia, so I don't notice a lack of brakes, but the rust and wheels are certainly a concern. If Sallen was closer, I'd certainly be interested in upgrading to something more dependable.
You can have that trailer shipped for little of nothing. Virginia to midwest (Iowa, Ill, wherever). Uship.com will get the job out to brokers and they will bid on the transport.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
Quote:
I wouldn't pay that much to repair a used trailer. You might be able to find a local shop to repair cheaper. The mastercraft 205V trailers are hard to find because they are no longer making them. I have to get my new trailer ordered before I can seriously put my up for sale. I had to drive 15 hours to get the boat....so hopefully I don't have to drive that far to get a trailer!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
I know. And I wouldn't have known any better without reading this site. The tires look great. Also, all three (spare included) are at 50 PSI while the tire (Marathon) states 65. I assume that was intentional, but don't know why PO would have them at 50.
People do strange things with tire inflation. If the tires are kept out of direct sunlight, they can look great long after they are reliable.

This forum has been a great source of information for most of us. I learned a lot the first few years I was here, and I haven't stopped learning yet.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 12-23-2013, 07:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallen View Post
I am thinking about selling my X1 single axle trailer and puchasing a boatmate dual axle trailer. I am trying to figure out what it is worth compared to the upgrade. I also want to get the paint over galvanized in case I ever want to put it in the river. What is the factory trailer worth.

Like new and always garage kept.
Sallen, apologies for the hijack. To help with your original inquiry, Rambo Marine is offering a couple of 2011s for $3995. http://www.boattrader.com/dealers/Ra...Price-1,10000/