Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, X-10 2001
multi channel controller

Hey All
so i want a little level control that has knobs on my boat. I doubt I'm the only one, but i don't want the stereo in boat as loud as the towers or the sub kicking the heck out of me when I'm pulling some one, my rig gets so loud that i can't hear some one yell down or hear whats going on with the boat.

so my set up is currently
fader front: in boat
Fader rear: towers
Sub out: sub

problem is on the clarion CMD6 thats like 4 menus to get to it. and on my new sub amp it came with a single knob controller. does some one make something like that but 3 to 5 channel so i have a quick level control.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
The wetsounds ws420 and exile zld have 3 zone controllers with equalizers built in. I think kicker also makes something that is cheaper, but I'm not sure. I have a ws420 and most of my friends do as well. It's nice to easily control the volume level of the in boats and tower speakers. I completely eliminated the head unit from my system. I installed a bluetooth receiver and have it wired straight into the ws420.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks JRW, did the wet sounds one come with a bracket? I can't find the exile one for sale any where, and the kicker one is just to cheap! but i would like to get either the wetsounds one or the Exile one exactly what i need!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarndahl View Post
Thanks JRW, did the wet sounds one come with a bracket? I can't find the exile one for sale any where, and the kicker one is just to cheap! but i would like to get either the wetsounds one or the Exile one exactly what i need!
Id be happy to sell you the Kicker ZXM-RLC at whatever price you want if that would make you feel better

The Kicker ZXM-RLC is less expensive because its not a dual-EQ with sub level and MIC like the WS420SQ. But make no mistake, its not a cheap piece of equipment.

Its built for the marine environment
Its a 9V per channel line driver
Doesnt require long RCA cables because the control unit is mounted close to the amps and it uses data cables to the volume knobs
The volume knobs can be removed from their housings and panel mounted for a cleaner look, or left in their housings and surface mounted

The WS-420SQ is a marine built unit
Dual EQ so you can fine tune the larger tower speakers completely independent of the smaller in-boats
Discrete 6 chnl output
True tower, in-boat and sub level zone control, plus master volume
RCA sockets are bulkhead mounted to the rear panel
Line level adjustments for the main and AUX inputs are inside.

The ZLD is not a marine built unit, as in the PCB is not coated
It uses a fade knod as opposed to a true zone volume control
the EQ is a single EQ that effects both the front and rear, or in-boat and tower as its labeled on the ZLD
The RCA jacks are through the back panel as opposed to bolting to the back panel. This leaves them only soldered to the PCB. This is a potential failure point IMO
Although it is a line driver, the tower and in-boat chnls split the available voltage. This is due to it doing fade and not independent zone control
Line level access is an open hole in the top panel
The ZLD has an adjustable lowpass filter which is leftover from a period (early 90s) gone bye when amplifiers did not have built-in active crossovers
The ZLD is an automotive based EQ. Units that function the same can be had for $75
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Hands down the WS420 is my favorite one! I can post the bracket and install of mine...i love it!
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hey MLA
I didn't mean to insult the kicker. In sure it's good gear, I have there in boat speakers and there tower speakers and it's been great for the budget and it's sounds decent and does the job. I just didn't want to have individual boxes. To where the wetsounds is a nice all in one box. But it is pricey but I also like the eq. Dealing with the head unit in the boat is kinda a pain.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
The ws420 comes with brackets
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Cwarndahl,

Dont sweat it, i thought it was kinda funny and I chuckled. I hope you took my reply with a little humor as well. Based on your original post, the ZXM-RLC is exactly what you described, to compliment your existing bass level control knob. I understand not wanting to mount individual boxes. Just in case my description about mounting options was not clear, here is how they can be mounted. Its also possible that your existing bass knob can be done the same way, giving you 3 independent zone control.
At the driver's finger tips, yet discrete and out of the way

Now, for those wanting more then just simple zone control, the WS-420SQ is the way to go.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks JRW
Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

MLA i did chuckle. but after looking at my dash that might be away to go and install them under my throttle. not sure yet i have all winter to decide. i just know i have to do something!