Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X55
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig3972 View Post
I believe you have a JL MIB10W5 (10" marine grade, infinite baffle, W5 sub). If you can put a sealed box in behind it in the original position and give it 250W to 375w it will produce for you. This way you dont have to give up much storage space for a large ported sub box. I am running two of these subs in this configuration (375wrms each) I have ran both the M10IBW5 and M10W5 (non infinite baffle) and find very little difference between them.
Yea im not sure how easy that would be to put it in a sealed box because it is currently under the passenger seat and facing towards the driver seat...so there's a cutout where it is right now. Could you build a box that would sort of butt right up against it and seal around it? Other issue is i believe there is a storage drawer right there as well...which is why there's probably no box around it.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
you can definitely get some cancellation effect if you are running multiple bass sources. I keep the free air as is, but then put the single ported 13W7 under the observer seat. To say it adds to the musical output is an understatement...It is crisp, clean, load and musically perfect (IMO), but I can tell you first hand it will definitely draw a crowd of bikinis at your local sandbar on the 4th of July : )
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Under the observers seat is a waste in my opinion. Had two 10s under mine and I driver around withe the obserrbers seat up!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Newbie

had the boat back at the dealer yesterday for a few misc things and had them check out the amps...sub channel was little less than half way turned up. I just hadn't had a chance to check it all out, but they cranked it up and now I'm told its definitely thumping pretty good.

Hopefully I'll make it up there to hear for myself, but I hope this has solved my problems enough so i dont have to go dump anymore money into it.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Not sure which amps you actually have but yes 10 JL component speakers and a sub are grossly underpowered with only 1200w max on tap.
It's a common theme in every newer MC I've seen. Good components not near enough power. And unless things have changed in the last few years models, the powe supply/wiring to the amps is also mediocre at best.
IMO the only flaw in my 06 was the mfr choice of amps and the shoddy installation of them.

With a nice new X55 I'd use the 2 existing amps for the cockpit speakers this will get more out of them and then get some more power for the sub and tower spkrs.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Under the observers seat is a waste in my opinion. Had two 10s under mine and I driver around withe the obserrbers seat up!
I understand what you are saying that you get more sound with the seat up...I also do that on occasion when anchored, but damn a properly powered/tuned/ported 13W7 under my observer seat is nothing short of spectacular. It's too bad you two 10's didn't do the trick for you but I would not discourage anybody from doing what I did.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Not sure which amps you actually have but yes 10 JL component speakers and a sub are grossly underpowered with only 1200w max on tap.
It's a common theme in every newer MC I've seen. Good components not near enough power. And unless things have changed in the last few years models, the powe supply/wiring to the amps is also mediocre at best.
IMO the only flaw in my 06 was the mfr choice of amps and the shoddy installation of them.

With a nice new X55 I'd use the 2 existing amps for the cockpit speakers this will get more out of them and then get some more power for the sub and tower spkrs.
I've got 2 M600/6 JL amps.

IF I were to go the route of an upgraded sub/amp combo under the seat, I guess i would bridge every everything with the amps I've got and run the tower speakers on a 4 channel amp bridged and then a sub on a mono amp? Is that what you would reccommend?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

So 2013X55, that is exactly what I'm doing in my new boat. Bridging the two 600W amps to run the 6 in boat speakers. Then in addition to that:

(1) HD750/1 amp for the 4 tower speakers
(1) M200 to run the 10" free air sub.

Then if you want some real bass...you add the big sub in box and amp under the observer. That is going to run you minimum $3k extra just for that...unless your an aficionado probably not necessary.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013X55 View Post
I've got 2 M600/6 JL amps.

IF I were to go the route of an upgraded sub/amp combo under the seat, I guess i would bridge every everything with the amps I've got and run the tower speakers on a 4 channel amp bridged and then a sub on a mono amp? Is that what you would reccommend?
Yes. I'd bridge each 600 into 3 ch each. That's good for 180w rms at 4ohms on battery voltage12.5v. More than enough for the JL speakers and not working the amps too hard.
Then pick whatever the best amp for the towers is. Some of the big marine shops use a jl750/1 to power all 4 and through series/ parallel spkr connections maintain 4 ohm impedance.
I have each pair of tower spkrs in series giving me a 2 ohm load to a big 2 ch amp and that works well too. I already had the amp. If you run 4 separate ch to the tower be aware you need to have 4 sets of wires running up the tower. With good quality wire there was no enough room for 4 pr up the tower.
Then whatever you choose for the sub.
Or with the 600s you could run 2 single ch to the bow speakers. They are plenty loud with 75w and bridge the other 10 ch to give you good power to the 4 rear cockpit spkrs and the existing sub.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
All the above advise is solid...but like the heated seats reference, more is umm better!

I'm running 2 JL 12w6v2 in a sealed box behind the drivers seat in my x15. The box is being pushed with 2 JL 750/1 HD amps and the sound is indescribable.

The stock sub will satisfy 85% of most peoples wants.. but the upgraded path is eye blurringly awesome if ur into that!!!
Attached Images