Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Prevent Fading on the Back of The Boat

I have a 2006 MC X1. It sits on the lift each day and is under a canopy. However, the back of the boat is still exposed to a lot of sunlight and I am concerned about it starting to fade. I know they have 3M products that prevent dinging up the back of the boat with boards and skis but does this also protect from the sun? Any other suggestions to protect it and prevent it from fading?
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2014
303 protectant at a minimum.
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Waterline fit cover. I don't think you can beat it with a wax or protectant in direct sunlight on the water all day unless you're excessively diligent with keeping it waxed. If it's hard to get to the affected area while it's on the lift then it requires even more dilligence.

If you like your current cover then just get some sunbrella and make a supplemental cover that you can hang on the back and secure to prevent flapping.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft maristar 225 vrs
I second the waterline cover. The more of the boat you keep covered the better. Again, the sunbrella is great. I got one from skiboatcovers.com. They were great to deal with and good quality. Need to clean and treat with fabric guard yearly....303 makes a great one. Also, protection on the boat is key. In our detail shop we have used high grade fiberglass sealants and had great success. Need to use one with uv inhibitors, I'm not a fan of wax especially on a dark boat. The melting point of wax is typically lower than sealants and can break down much faster. Just my opinion but. After restoring a lot of marine gel coats I love the sealants!!!!! Much easier and more cost effective to protect it rather than let it go and have to restore.
info@wolfeborocarwash.com
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07' Mastercraft X30 LY6
x3 on the waterline cover. Money we'll spent. Mine is also from skiboatcovers.com
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Another good option is to make a drop down cover for the back of the lift. Really seals in the flavor.

Tags
cleaning, fading, waxing