Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I would be interested to know how it does towing, but I imagine, you should not have any issues. It sounds like you tow about as much as I do. Did you end up getting it from Tom Williams?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
yes, tom williams. it'll be nice having a dealer so close. i'm only a few miles away from the grants mill exit so it'll be a lot more convenient than trekking to the nearest ford place. although, i'm hoping not to have to need much from them.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Should tow it fine. Just watch steep ramps like the one at Misty Harbor on Smith. Especially when wet. That boat is going to REALLY want to drag that pretty Lexus in the water. Just remember, when the boat begins to float, the drag will cease. It really fun for scaring passengers though.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
no rear air. they have a 4 corner adjustable height suspension. i don't think it is actually levels the car like a typical rear air suspension.
It's kind of both. The AHC (Adjustable Height Control) suspension uses hydraulics to change the height of each corner independently coupled with highly pressurized air behind rubber damns that act like springs for cushioning, so some people will call it an "air suspension" out of simplicity. It's very different than air bags like you might add for payload purposes. I think the Infinity SUV has a similar active suspension - mixes hydraulics for lifting with air springs for cushioning.

I mention this not to be a d!ck and correct anyone just for the sake showing off, but it is one of the downsides to the Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX equivalents that have the AHC as tow vehicles. AHC suspensions are designed for performance and comfort, not to take a heavy payload. The 200 series LC or the LX570 will have more than enough power to pull the boat, but depending on the tongue weight of your boat/trailer combo, its possible the rear suspension on your 570 will struggle to retain normal height and you will be towing with the rear of your car sagging. Theoretically you could damage something in your suspension if you hit a bump and bottom out. Potentially more worrisome is it could put a lot of strain on the AHC system which is extremely expensive to repair. (the globes or accumulators on each corner that act as the air springs are about $500 bucks each from Toyota, at least on the 100 series... have heard similar for the Infinity Q).

I know on the 100 series you can add air bags to take some of the pressure off the AHC hydraulic system. I haven't had to research the 200 series to see if anyone makes an airbag for those yet.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
It's kind of both. The AHC (Adjustable Height Control) suspension uses hydraulics to change the height of each corner independently coupled with highly pressurized air behind rubber damns that act like springs for cushioning, so some people will call it an "air suspension" out of simplicity. It's very different than air bags like you might add for payload purposes. I think the Infinity SUV has a similar active suspension - mixes hydraulics for lifting with air springs for cushioning.

I mention this not to be a d!ck and correct anyone just for the sake showing off, but it is one of the downsides to the Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX equivalents that have the AHC as tow vehicles. AHC suspensions are designed for performance and comfort, not to take a heavy payload. The 200 series LC or the LX570 will have more than enough power to pull the boat, but depending on the tongue weight of your boat/trailer combo, its possible the rear suspension on your 570 will struggle to retain normal height and you will be towing with the rear of your car sagging. Theoretically you could damage something in your suspension if you hit a bump and bottom out. Potentially more worrisome is it could put a lot of strain on the AHC system which is extremely expensive to repair. (the globes or accumulators on each corner that act as the air springs are about $500 bucks each from Toyota, at least on the 100 series... have heard similar for the Infinity Q).

I know on the 100 series you can add air bags to take some of the pressure off the AHC hydraulic system. I haven't had to research the 200 series to see if anyone makes an airbag for those yet.

My Denali has an on board compressor which fills air shocks. It's a thing of beauty. When I drop my X25 down onto the hitch, compressor kicks on, 10 seconds later she's riding level. My understanding is that the new 2015's will have this feature as well. As we tow several thousand kilometres per year through mountain passes this was important.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
My Denali has an on board compressor which fills air shocks. It's a thing of beauty. When I drop my X25 down onto the hitch, compressor kicks on, 10 seconds later she's riding level. My understanding is that the new 2015's will have this feature as well. As we tow several thousand kilometres per year through mountain passes this was important.
I put the same set up on my Denali.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
I put the same set up on my Denali.

It's the stock set-up. That coupled with the 6.2L engine make it the ultimate tow vehicle. My dealership should have some in late March. I'll have to get the XL version though this time as my wife can't stay unpregnant lol.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
It's the stock set-up. That coupled with the 6.2L engine make it the ultimate tow vehicle. My dealership should have some in late March. I'll have to get the XL version though this time as my wife can't stay unpregnant lol.
Not the stock set up on a 2013 Sierra Denali.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
If you get a LC, you might still be able to service at the Lexus dealer.

We have the opposite. Our Lexus GX400h usually gets serviced and warranty repairs at the Toyota dealer. Just might check into it if you like the LC......
That's interesting. Our local Nissan dealer won't provide warranty or recall service for my wife's Infiniti. Our nearest Infiniti dealership is 100 miles away in Tallahassee. That will definitely be a consideration when it comes time to replace the Infiniti.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
made the plunge and bought a 2011 LX570. nice car so far. i wish the cover over the tow hitch was more substantial. my thoughts are that during the summer when we tow a lot or use the bike rack, i'll just leave the bumper cover in the garage. it looks like one of the tabs has already been bent from likely little use. the 7 pin RV type electrical connector also seems pretty far off to the passenger side. hopefully, my trailers have enough slack in their connectors to reach. i have to tow the pontoon this week so that will be its biggest test. the X30 is a piece of cake compared to the pontoon.
Good luck with your new ride!
From kgrove's post, I would definitely spend some time on the Lexus forums and check around there on potential towing issues.
I about crapped when I got an insurance quote on a nice, 6yr old Lex I was considering vs our Toyota Avalon.
Out of curiosity, what was the insurance difference between the Ex and Lex?