Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Anyone tow with an LX570?

Here's my situation. My wife has been driving ford expeditions for the past 13 years. We are on our 4th expedition and she is looking to downsize a bit. The main use for the expedition has been family traveler, carpool and tow rig. It has been great for all 3 duties but as I mentioned, she'd like to downsize a bit. My current car is a 97 FZJ80 land cruiser. great car, but even with solid axles and a full floating rear axle, it is only rated at 5000lbs towing here in the states. So we've been looking at cars that can still tow our X30 and our pontoon (25ft ~6K lbs). the pontoon is actually much harder to tow since it sits up much higher on the trailer and is obviously not very aerodynamic on the highway. I've looked at the Sequoia but it really isn't much smaller than the expedition. I like the size of the current 200 series land cruiser. The big benefit of getting the lexus over the LC for us is that you can get a certified preowned with a 100K mile warranty and we have a dealer about 2 miles from our house. we currently have to drive a fair amount to get to a ford or toyota dealer. you also get power fold rear seats in the lexus over the toyota version. this is a big deal for my wife as she ends up driving a ton daily running carpools and really like the power rear seats in the fords. our towing needs are probably modest compared to some here. i only tow the boats a few times a year to take them back and forth from the lake to my main house for yearly maintenance. the trip is about 70 miles each way with a mix of interstate and city driving.

so, back to my question. any one tow with a lx570? if so, please share your thoughts. thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
Here's my situation. My wife has been driving ford expeditions for the past 13 years. We are on our 4th expedition and she is looking to downsize a bit. The main use for the expedition has been family traveler, carpool and tow rig. It has been great for all 3 duties but as I mentioned, she'd like to downsize a bit. My current car is a 97 FZJ80 land cruiser. great car, but even with solid axles and a full floating rear axle, it is only rated at 5000lbs towing here in the states. So we've been looking at cars that can still tow our X30 and our pontoon (25ft ~6K lbs). the pontoon is actually much harder to tow since it sits up much higher on the trailer and is obviously not very aerodynamic on the highway. I've looked at the Sequoia but it really isn't much smaller than the expedition. I like the size of the current 200 series land cruiser. The big benefit of getting the lexus over the LC for us is that you can get a certified preowned with a 100K mile warranty and we have a dealer about 2 miles from our house. we currently have to drive a fair amount to get to a ford or toyota dealer. you also get power fold rear seats in the lexus over the toyota version. this is a big deal for my wife as she ends up driving a ton daily running carpools and really like the power rear seats in the fords. our towing needs are probably modest compared to some here. i only tow the boats a few times a year to take them back and forth from the lake to my main house for yearly maintenance. the trip is about 70 miles each way with a mix of interstate and city driving.

so, back to my question. any one tow with a lx570? if so, please share your thoughts. thanks.
I don't have the LX570 but a 4Runner with the V8 that is rated at 7300lbs towing, where the LX is rated at 7000 lbs. On my 85 mile trek to the lake, it tows my 210 fine, which is a few hundred lbs lighter than the X30. I imagine with the larger 5.7 liter engine, that it would cover any shortcomings the smaller 4.7 in my 4Runner will have. If you were towing on a regular basis, say every weekend, then I would probably be inclined to go with something a little larger, but that would go against what your wife is wanting. Hard to beat a Toyota.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
If you get a LC, you might still be able to service at the Lexus dealer.

We have the opposite. Our Lexus GX400h usually gets serviced and warranty repairs at the Toyota dealer. Just might check into it if you like the LC......

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, Maristar 210, 1992, 351
Send a message via AIM to jackpita Send a message via Yahoo to jackpita
I own the LX450, LX470, and the LX570, so I might be a little biased. Tow an X14 on a single axel. Towed a 92 maristar 210 on a double in the past.

All do it we'll, but the 570 does it with virtually no strain. I can't tell the boat is there, where I can feel it with the 470, and the 450 more. 570 seldom down shifts on the hills to Smith Mountain Lake, where the 470 would always do so, and the 450 would just really slow down.

Inside the 570 is massive. My wife loves it.

230,000 miles on the 450. 130,000 on the 470. 25,000 on the 570.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:18 AM
MC Fanatic

made the plunge and bought a 2011 LX570. nice car so far. i wish the cover over the tow hitch was more substantial. my thoughts are that during the summer when we tow a lot or use the bike rack, i'll just leave the bumper cover in the garage. it looks like one of the tabs has already been bent from likely little use. the 7 pin RV type electrical connector also seems pretty far off to the passenger side. hopefully, my trailers have enough slack in their connectors to reach. i have to tow the pontoon this week so that will be its biggest test. the X30 is a piece of cake compared to the pontoon.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I had a Sequoia with 4.7 before and it pulled the X-30 just fine. Now have the Tundra with 5.7 and it is awesome.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Refresh my memory, we had looked at a Lexus 570. Did they have a rear air suspension?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 PM
MC Fanatic

no rear air. they have a 4 corner adjustable height suspension. i don't think it is actually levels the car like a typical rear air suspension.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
They were the priciest of any large SUV new as well if I remember correctly, more than the QX56 even.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

true. thats why i bought used. we joke about how expensive boats are, cars have gotten a bit out of control as well.