Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Is the in-tank fuel pump for a '95 the same as the ones discussed in the Fuel Pump 101 thread? At the very least, did '95s use a similar fuel pressure? For example, the fuel pump for my '98 is an external in-line pump, so things were changing around a lot back then.
'95 doesn't have the in-tank pump- it's on the engine.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: EPIC 23v
Have raised the issue with the guys back at Indmar, GM didn't use a sensor on the car with that gen LT1 so may have been added when it was made into a marine engine as the 2nd gen one uses the LS series sensor, I have only ever seen 2 LT1's over here both are imported 2nd hand from the US in MasterCraft Prostars
Old 12-11-2013, 07:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInboards View Post
Have raised the issue with the guys back at Indmar, GM didn't use a sensor on the car with that gen LT1 so may have been added when it was made into a marine engine as the 2nd gen one uses the LS series sensor, I have only ever seen 2 LT1's over here both are imported 2nd hand from the US in MasterCraft Prostars
Any chance of finding a cam position sensor?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft
Quote:
PM me if you like and I can suggest a better way of doing it (than MC) as I fit Indmar engines in all sorts of different types of boats. I am in New Zealand so won't be selling you anything!
I would be very interested in any help/information you can provide.

the MC engine(indmar 5.7L) we have is from a wrecked ski boat--the engine is being used in a replica of a 1940 Chris Craft racing runabout which we have built from old plans.
So we have to have a gas tank fabricated and don't want the in tank fuel pump arrangement.
With a external pump would we need the fuel cooler?
thanks for any help.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegartner1 View Post
I would be very interested in any help/information you can provide.

the MC engine(indmar 5.7L) we have is from a wrecked ski boat--the engine is being used in a replica of a 1940 Chris Craft racing runabout which we have built from old plans.
So we have to have a gas tank fabricated and don't want the in tank fuel pump arrangement.
With a external pump would we need the fuel cooler?
thanks for any help.
You'll have a really hard time supplying fuel at the required pressure if the pump is outside of the tank. Pushing fuel is much better than trying to pull it from the tank. IMO, the whole reason these pumps have problems is because the tank is required to be vented. Look at cars and trucks- they have pump problems, but the vast majority are due to running the tank low or dry.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:21 PM
TT Regular

LT1 engine guys, this engine runs 2 crank sensors (shared with the LTR) and no cam sensor as by running the dual crank sensors the cam sensor was not required by Indmar. The crank sensor was supplied by GM but Delco Remy have made it obsolete PN 10456123. You can find info on the Northstar ignition system here along with a list of vechiles it was installed in http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=380 that may help in identifying a replacement sensor
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM
TT Regular

Joe sounds like you have an MCX but are you able to either post a picture or send me one
Old 12-15-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
PM me if you like and I can suggest a better way of doing it (than MC) as I fit Indmar engines in all sorts of different types of boats. I am in New Zealand so won't be selling you anything!
I'm new to forum-I sent you a email reply the other day--did you receive
Not sure what you mean by PM me
Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You'll have a really hard time supplying fuel at the required pressure if the pump is outside of the tank. Pushing fuel is much better than trying to pull it from the tank. IMO, the whole reason these pumps have problems is because the tank is required to be vented. Look at cars and trucks- they have pump problems, but the vast majority are due to running the tank low or dry.
Every Mercruiser I/O I have ever worked on has a external pump-pressure controller and cooler.
They never seem to put the pump in the tank. Was hoping to do similar hookup on this engine.