Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft XStar SS, 6.0L 400HP
Engine wont turn over, water in rear of boat.

Having some issues with my 2008 XStar. I have had the engine serviced recently to address the engine not starting cold, during which the "air intake" system was replaced by the dealer. Boat started cold, all was well. I had surgery and the boat sat for 2 weeks untouched in dry dock. Little did I know the marina didn't pull the drain plug Boat was full of water but wasn't over flooring. Batteries have been fully charged and are in working condition as per West Marine. The boat was started by a tech after removing the air filter, since I have replaced the filter and the boat wont start! The engine is very close to turning over but then dies. On every attempt I am getting it to combust (think that's the term) for 1 or 2 clicks... For the life of me I cant get it starting, I have an order in for a couple of parts to work on it on Wednesday (Raw Water Pump replacement, Alternator replacement). If anyone has any helpful hints I can look at I would appreciate it. I am contemplating replacing the starter and or spark plug. Thanks ahead for the advise
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
any water in fuel tank? is this a distributor-less engine? check for corrosion? fuel pump pressure correct? Fuel pump relay okay? Why raw water pump? was alternator submerged? everything put together correctly? take the spark arrestor off and see if it starts.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Water pump was spewing water when I attempted to flush boat. Water pump was corroded. Alternator is rusted and its time for a fresh one. Haven't don't work on it yet, I turn into the grease monkey on Wednesday. Where would I find the spark arrestor on this XStar, im not at my dry dock so I don't have the luxury of looking.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by blflak View Post
Water pump was spewing water when I attempted to flush boat. Water pump was corroded. Alternator is rusted and its time for a fresh one. Haven't don't work on it yet, I turn into the grease monkey on Wednesday. Where would I find the spark arrestor on this XStar, im not at my dry dock so I don't have the luxury of looking.
looks like an air filter - prolly at stern of boat. Alternator rusty? has it been submerged before? Do you run this boat in salt water?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

I got a new air filter on there now, still no go. Yep i board in Biscayne Bay here in S Fla
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Did you start with the basics first? Check the kill switch? Did you disconnect anything since the tech started the boat? Are the plug leads correctly routed (correct firing order)? If it's cranking fine but just not firing then the problem is not the starter motor. I wouldn't waste my money by just throwing parts at it without understanding the problem first.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Check the spark, check the fuel pressure and take a fuel sample. If you see anything other than fuel, you need to deal with that. Actually, since the marina dropped the ball, THEY need to deal with it.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I'm a little confused by your first post. Is the starter turning the engine over and it's just not starting, or is it not turning over at all. If the starter was under water for any time at all it will be toast and need to be replaced.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
I'm a little confused by your first post. Is the starter turning the engine over and it's just not starting, or is it not turning over at all. If the starter was under water for any time at all it will be toast and need to be replaced.
I have the same question. Post says it won't turn over...so is it cranking at full speed? Water in the bilge = a wet starter. Boat should be covered when not in use.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Check the spark, check the fuel pressure and take a fuel sample. If you see anything other than fuel, you need to deal with that. Actually, since the marina dropped the ball, THEY need to deal with it.
See above. You say your alt and water pump are corroded so better check that starter too. Salt water will cause trouble fast with these boats. Sounds like you need to spray engine with wd40 more often to protect it