Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Crankcase sensor replacement

Hi guys. I have a 2000 X Star and some genius forgot to put the bungs in and almost sunk it. It took on a lot of water.

LTR 330hp engine

I'm looking to replace the crankcase sensor. Does anyone know if I can still get these sensors? Where from? And how much?

I should mention that I'm in Australia and the dealers I have called here dont want to know about it.

The bottom line is that insurance will probably write the engine off and if I can't get replacement sensors I'm going to be out of pocket about 10k when I have to replace motor, gearbox, all wiring etc. instead of just replacing the motor and putting new sensors on it.

Any advice is welcome!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Did you flood the motor? Did you get water intrusion in to engine block - transmission?

Post a picture of the crank position sensor if you can. I believe that part will be able to be found.

Try the below dealers - and or

https://www.marinepartssource.com/

http://www.midwestmastercraft.com/

http://www.rambomarine.com/
Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM
TT Regular

[quote=mikeg205;993869]Did you flood the motor? Did you get water intrusion in to engine block - transmission? ]

Yes i did. The air intake on the engine took on water, so i will be replacing the engine.As for the transmission, i think it is ok. There was no water in the tranny oil..

The insurance assessor is looking at it this week, when we have it open i will take a pic of the crankcase sensor and post it.

Cheers
Joel
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM
MC Master Poster

[quote=jwp1504;994012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Did you flood the motor? Did you get water intrusion in to engine block - transmission? ]

Yes i did. The air intake on the engine took on water, so i will be replacing the engine.As for the transmission, i think it is ok. There was no water in the tranny oil..

The insurance assessor is looking at it this week, when we have it open i will take a pic of the crankcase sensor and post it.

Cheers
Joel
How long was it in the water? If it wasn't long and you, or someone you know, can tear it down, it should be salvageable.

If the sensor you're looking for threads into the side of the block and connects to a blue wire, that's the knock sensor and it's a common part.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM

[quote=jwp1504;994012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Did you flood the motor? Did you get water intrusion in to engine block - transmission? ]

Cheers
Joel
Yikes... that's pretty catastrophic... Sorry to read... I know many of us have forgotten to replace the plug... Did you see it fill up?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM
TT Regular

[quote=JimN;994028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post

How long was it in the water? If it wasn't long and you, or someone you know, can tear it down, it should be salvageable.

If the sensor you're looking for threads into the side of the block and connects to a blue wire, that's the knock sensor and it's a common part.
Hey JimN, i was hoping you would have some input! Thanks!

It was in the water for probably 20 minutes. I went to have a ski behind it and it just dragged through the water. I let go of the rope and the guy driving it took it for a lap trying to see what was wrong with it. By the time he got back to the bank the water was coming up through the carpet. We left it running and emptied it out. By the look of the water marks in the engine bay the air intake would been half under water.

Once we dried it out i took it for a run and it ran fine at idle but as soon as the revs got up a little it started miss and lose power and the check engine light came on.

When i got it to the mechanic, he couldn't even get it started.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 AM

[quote=jwp1504;994038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post

It was in the water for probably 20 minutes. I went to have a ski behind it and it just dragged through the water. I let go of the rope and the guy driving it took it for a lap trying to see what was wrong with it. By the time he got back to the bank the water was coming up through the carpet. We left it running and emptied it out. By the look of the water marks in the engine bay the air intake would been half under water.

Once we dried it out i took it for a run and it ran fine at idle but as soon as the revs got up a little it started miss and lose power and the check engine light came on.

Sorry to read - that had to be painful.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 AM
TT Regular

[quote=mikeg205;994094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post

Sorry to read - that had to be painful.
Oh it is. Especially when it's just coming in to summer now over here!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 AM
MC Master Poster

[quote=jwp1504;994038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post

Pull the spark plugs and, with the fuel pump disabled, crank it over- does water spray out? This is the easiest test for water in the fuel system.

Take a fuel sample- water may have gotten into the tank through the vent and it may have stopped running purely because water displaced the gasoline. If you find that this is the case, don't try to run it before clearing the fuel system of ALL water. Adding alcohol won't work.

If you find water in the tank, remove the fuel pump and disconnect the fuel lines at both ends. You'll also need to disconnect them from the throttle body. If you have a good service shop nearby, you should be able to have them check the injectors- the fuel rail will need to come off, but verify water in the fuel system before dismantling.

Did you look at the oil? If it looks normal, you don't need an engine. Disconnect the battery, open the engine cover and unplug all of the connectors on the sensors, blow compressed air into all of the terminals, make sure the entire engine is clean and dry. Remove the harness plugs from the ECM and do the same to them. Once they're dry, spray a bit of WD40 or equivalent into the terminals. Remove the coil packs and IC module (Ignition Control). Call an auto dealer that sells GM and ask if they can test it.

I would bet that the problems are entirely electrical, especially if the oil looks normal. If it's even a little milky, change it & replace the filter. Run it, if you can, and see if it's still milky. If it's clear, it should be OK.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 AM
TT Regular

Update.

The engine has seized. It won't even turn over.

Insurance company has written off the engine. I can get a replacement engine as long I can source the crank and knock sensors. I have found and purchased the knock sensor but have been unable to find a crank sensor.

I have tried all the places suggested but had no luck. One place spoke to Indmar and was told that they are no longer made.

Does anyone know if there's an ulterior option? Or if a second hand one could be found??