Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '06 Prostar 197 MCX
'06 Prostar Stall Speed

My '06 Prostar w/MCX is accelerating slow and has a high rpm at 36 mph. I'm taking my propeller to a shop to have them try to make some adjustments to it to lower the rpm. They need to know the stall speed for my boat (rpm it runs at during acceleration so that the prop doesn't slip too much). I contacted my dealer also, but I'm dropping the prop off Tuesday so I'd like to know today or early tomorrow. My question is does anyone know my boat's stall speed or where I can look it up? Haven't found anything in the manual or online.

Last edited by adubon; 11-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
It's not your prop.

Plenty of info, on that set-up, on this site. If you search. That boat at sea level, is capable of 42-44 mph @ around 48-5,200 rpm.

The manufacturer name, and model of prop is stamped, on the prop. Need more info.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
TT Newbie

I don't see how any of that answers my question.

I'd like to know what the set rpm is during hard acceleration (hole shot).

Last edited by adubon; 11-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubon View Post
I don't see how any of that answers my question.

I'd like to know what the set rpm is during hard acceleration (hole shot).
During acceleration, the engine speed increases, so you need to explain how that would qualify as 'set'. If you want to change the idle speed, don't- it's set at the factory, to work with the ECM as it controls the IAC (Idle Air Control).

Has any work been done to the engine, recently? If you noticed a drop-off in performance immediately after service, take it back.

'Stall speed'- as in, when it goes on plane? That will depend of the weight in the boat.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Never heard the term "stall speed" when talking about ski boats. Stall usually means at what rpm does the vehicle start to go into motion (as in torque convertors for automatics).
Your boat does not have a torque convertor, however if something is wrong with your transmission it may "feel" like a torque convertor.

Are you reading near 5000 rpm's at only 36 mph? If so, your prop may be too small, damaged or your transmission has a problem. I assume you've checked the fluid level.

Let us know what size your prop is and what condition it's in and we'll try to help you figure this out.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
First, don't take your prop to that shop. Call Acme or OJ props, they can help you and you will be happy with the results.

P.S. They won't ask for a stall speed.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
never heard of boat stall speed... even looked it up. call acme or Oj. what prop do you have now. think of your prop as the cogs on a bicycle - You need to down shift your prop so to speak. Too little pitch I bet in your current set up I bet or too small a prop. How about a pic of the stamping on your prop.

http://www.formulapropeller.com/propellers.html

I would also JimN's advice.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 PM
TT Newbie

I had never heard of a boat stall speed either. The local ski school/MC dealer works with a local prop shop when they don't like the props on their prostars so I gave them the prop to take in to have it worked on. They talked to the shop today about my issue & the shop asked about the stall speed.

Thanks for the input. That makes more sense & explains why no one has a clue about a stall speed. I don't remember what model it is, but I'll just get them to call OJ and figure out if they'll be able to do some work on that prop. I'm going this way b/c it's not going to cost me any money & the ski school has been happy with them.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by adubon View Post
I had never heard of a boat stall speed either. The local ski school/MC dealer works with a local prop shop when they don't like the props on their prostars so I gave them the prop to take in to have it worked on. They talked to the shop today about my issue & the shop asked about the stall speed.
Too many chiefs and not enough indians... No need to work on the prop unless it is damaged. You may need to change props for different performance characteristics but 'working on one' to overcome a 'stall speed' is ridiculous. And so is a 'stall speed' unless your in an airplane...

Read up a bit here on the forum and gain some insight as to what you're truly looking for. I think you may need to reprop the boat but I'd call a professional for advice in lieu of a ski school combination dealer in cahoots with the local bait shop that speaks of stall speeds...

Free and happy doesn't always constitute a positive measure of success....

Consider a Acme prop with L.H. 13x13 for a strong low end and you should get a consistent 42-44 MPH on the top, maybe 46 MPH... Merely a guess on my part but................. you're pushing a Prostar 197 shallow-draft slalom hull, good horsepower with the MCX engine, with maybe 3-6 people and some equipment and fuel... Maybe consider a 4-blade if you want but I like a 3-banger for a smoother feel in my feet on the floorboard.

Just my $0.02.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Too many chiefs and not enough indians... No need to work on the prop unless it is damaged. You may need to change props for different performance characteristics but 'working on one' to overcome a 'stall speed' is ridiculous. And so is a 'stall speed' unless your in an airplane...

Read up a bit here on the forum and gain some insight as to what you're truly looking for. I think you may need to reprop the boat but I'd call a professional for advice in lieu of a ski school combination dealer in cahoots with the local bait shop that speaks of stall speeds...

Free and happy doesn't always constitute a positive measure of success....

Just my $0.02.
'nuff said... and well said cloaked.....