Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: NA
2012 X-30 Question

Hello, new to the site had a quick question. I was looking at a 2012 X-30 and had one question concerning the display screen. If I am correct the screen has changed between the 2012 and 2013 models? On the 2013 models there are actual buttons on the sides of the display screen to adjust ballast, etc. Where as 2012 model it is just the screen. Does anybody know on the 2012 model's, is it touchscreen? Also any other advice between 2012 or 2013 models positive or negative would be awesome. Graphics and hull should be the same???? Any other differences between those years????

Thanks for any help and advice
Old 11-23-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
2012 is a touch screen. It is also a medallion touchscreen which had a ton of issues in the beginning. MC switched all over to Murphy control systems after all of the problems with medallion in past years. I believe all of the issues have been fixed with 2012 software. Medallion was very slow to react to the problems, but finally got them taken care of. 2013, and 2014 systems are a gigantic leap forward in reliability and performance.

Also, check to see if the 2012 has Zero-Off. If it does not, you will want the dealer to upgrade that. Perfect pass in the 2012s was terrible, and is still not that great, even after the software upgrades. Zero-Off is 100x better.

I believe everything else is the same on the 2012s and 2013s. The X30 is an awesome boat, and the best in its category, in my opinion...... unless you primarily wakeboard, in which case I would recommend an X25.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2003
Basically what 440 said. 2012 had tons of issues with the screen but they say they have fixed it.Might be better off with 2013 unless u found a good deal.

2003 x9
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
2012 X-30 Question

I second that, basically 440 said all you really need to know, there is a long thread about all the issues here, which are mostly yesterdays news, and with the most recent software versions most of the worries are gone. Perfect pass still is not perfect, but it works decent in RPM mode, just keep in mind that ZeroOff is not a usable option if your homespot is a river that actually flows...but ZeroOff works like a charm on a lake...

btw if you need ideas about a piggy back ballast upgrades for a 2012, I've been down that road

Edit: but you can always revert to Perfect Pass (sorry it was late that night) by disconnecting the ZeroOff GPS Antenna with ignition off!

Last edited by Stefan; 11-26-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
ZeroOff is not ideal on a river, but is usable. You just have to manually adjust speed everytime you change current direction. In high water, the speed change can be significant.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
2012 X-30 Question

+1 on all of what 44 and Stefan said.

2012 Issues are solved, touch screen works great.

Also update the bilge pumps, they were mounted on an angle and need to be placed flat.

If you get the updates and Zero-Off as well as an add on ballast system (two extra pumps) then the pricing should be within 5k or so of a comparable 13. Without those, budget $5k to update ...edit : meaning that the delta could be 10k or more.

Also the 2013's have a better chance of being compatible with the new surf system, not confirmed...where as 2012, from what I'm told, will not.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

It would have to be an absolute amazing deal for me to buy a 12 with the medallion screen despite what some have said. MC and medallion aren't exactly on speaking terms anymore and if you've got problems there are dealers out there that haven't a clue or the desire to work on medallion issues that may come up. Think about it, back when MC and medallion actually had a partnership they had a awful time getting things fixed, now that MC has dropped them do you think their relationships have gotten any better? You will be basically buying a unsupported outdated buggy system that no one will want to claim ownership of.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
It would have to be an absolute amazing deal for me to buy a 12 with the medallion screen despite what some have said. MC and medallion aren't exactly on speaking terms anymore and if you've got problems there are dealers out there that haven't a clue or the desire to work on medallion issues that may come up. Think about it, back when MC and medallion actually had a partnership they had a awful time getting things fixed, now that MC has dropped them do you think their relationships have gotten any better? You will be basically buying a unsupported outdated buggy system that no one will want to claim ownership of.
I would tend to agree with all of the above, except one detail of it...... MC will continue to put these control systems out for bid, and I am sure that medallion wouldn't want to completely burn that bridge. That being said, I think medallion would really have to change their ways, and have one hell of a price advantage to get MC back. MC should have gone with Murphy back in 2010, even though the system was significantly more expensive. It would have saved them a lot of headache and $$ after the fact, and thankfully, they finally realized that for 2013. To be honest, I still can't understand why they stuck with Medallion on screen systems after the introduction and laundry list of problems with Malivue. That should have been a good indicator of problems to come. MC was at least a little lucky..... At least the MC boats would start.