Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: looking
Non-current ski info.

Anyone out there know where to find info. (ie. specs, photos) on non-current waterskis? I've tried waterskimag.com buyer's guide archives, but it's very frustrating to use, as well as not having what I'm looking for. Wiley's has a good deal on a NEW 2000 Mapple with the Wiley's double boot, and I need to know more.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump
Anyone out there know where to find info. (ie. specs, photos) on non-current waterskis? I've tried waterskimag.com buyer's guide archives, but it's very frustrating to use, as well as not having what I'm looking for. Wiley's has a good deal on a NEW 2000 Mapple with the Wiley's double boot, and I need to know more.

why don't you ask Wileys? Or email Andy Mapple
http://www.andymapple.com/index.php?...ntact&Itemid=3
Old 10-26-2005, 09:35 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted
why don't you ask Wileys? Or email Andy Mapple
http://www.andymapple.com/index.php?...ntact&Itemid=3
I've talked to Wiley's, but over-the-phone info. is usually lacking. Having said that, the guy seemed honest and the info I did get has got me more interested as it seems like a high-end user-friendly ski. Can anyone comment on this? I'm a free skier (due to lack of course) but an aggressive one at that.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I had an 02 Mapple. If someone can confirm that it was the same ski as the 2000, I can give you some words on it from the perspective of a predominantly free skier.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 0000000
Same as 2002!

I had a 68 " 2000 Mapple (same as 2002) ,Great ski ! I ran my first 28offs on it! I don't know about it being forgiving , but for free skiing you will have a hoot! I had 2 of them , the first one broke in-half @ the end of it's 1st season (got a new ski under warranty)!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Mapple sieges run a bit deeper in the water than some other skis, its an interesting feeling, but once you get used to it Its a great ski. Hull design on the mapples didn't change much at all, mainly a graphics thing. I'll recommend checking the set allen screws on the fin box, as they can work out over time if you don't pay attention to them.

We've had a few issues w/ obrien products over the years, such as the surface sheet seperating from the hull, the tips cracking, and rubber boots being a bit delicate, but the siege is a great shape, and particually if you get a deal on it. And wiley's makes great boots.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:12 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190
Mapple sieges run a bit deeper in the water than some other skis, its an interesting feeling, but once you get used to it Its a great ski. Hull design on the mapples didn't change much at all, mainly a graphics thing. I'll recommend checking the set allen screws on the fin box, as they can work out over time if you don't pay attention to them.

We've had a few issues w/ obrien products over the years, such as the surface sheet seperating from the hull, the tips cracking, and rubber boots being a bit delicate, but the siege is a great shape, and particually if you get a deal on it. And wiley's makes great boots.
Thanks for the input. I have a couple of questions: Were all Mapples in 2000 designated "Mapple Siege"? When did the Siege become a separate model as it is now?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Siege has been around forever, the siege used to come in models designated G1-G4, the G4 siege eventually was phased out as a mapple siege was introduced, few years of overlap though, and most of the other models phased out even earlier. The Mapple Siege, The Jr. Mapple Siege, and the Siege all now have the same hull design, but w/ different flex patterns and materials, the standard siege feels much more like a plastic hull, like that on the world team, whereas the jr, and mapple feel more like a reinforced fiberglass material. I'm fairly certain the current hold over of the siege is the filler for the G4, like they switched between them, but that was around 2000

Among the G series there was a slightly different hull shape, but the different levels had different "nifty" features over the years, such as front end vibration tuners (moveable dampner much like those on downhill skis) A piezo crystal complex, i think it had an LED too, and as the hull vibrated it deformed the piezo and created current causing the LED to disappate the vibration. Never saw any of those in real life.

I tried running http://www.obrien.com through the wayback machine at archive.org but They don't have pages before 1998, and most of the images are gone on the pages, so they're not much help.