Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Teak swim platform refurb

I have my swim platform off and I have sanded and painted the brackets. I have now sanded the top and bottom of the platform, even removing a few boards to get between to clean and sand. It looks much better and I will now have all winter to get the oil all soaked in. I have done some hunting around for the best price on teak and so far Woodcraft at $11.99 a bd ft. I would need about 6' to fix the one cracked piece but I may just live with it for now.

Before

After

Last edited by CC2MC; 11-18-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Give Teakworld a call. They probably can make that board for you at a reasonable price. They sent me all the parts to repair my broken boards. Good folks to deal with.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That looks fantastic. I've read good things about teak world as well, looking at making a modified swim platform, they are very good to deal with.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMoose View Post
Give Teakworld a call. They probably can make that board for you at a reasonable price. They sent me all the parts to repair my broken boards. Good folks to deal with.
I sent them an email. Did they send it to you already cut or just the raw board?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I sent them an email. Did they send it to you already cut or just the raw board?
I sent them photos for clarity and they sent me precut boards. The boards did require slight modification for installation but much less than I could have done with new boards. If you send photos along with measurements(I didn't, hence mods needed) I imagine you would get exact replacements.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
I just bought a stick of teak from Teak World last month. $73 (shipping included for a close proximity location) for the same platform. They don't do credit cards or PayPal. Billing is their M.O.

They sent me the board that did not have any radius so it came just the way I needed it. I did not use the board for this platform as I have another use for it in mind outside of the platform.

I use 75 % linseed oil / 25% mineral spirits. Teak oil is too heavy for my preference. Once a season is all I have to tend this one....trick that I have learned with my preferred mixture is to brush the oil on and leave it for an hour or so but not long enough for the excess to start drying in excess. Wipe the excess off very good and let each coat dry for 24-48 hours. Don't rely on any excess to soak in.....not the way it works for best results that I have experienced. Also pick a warmer time to do the project. Cooler temps (in the 50s) make for a long (and tacky) dry time....two coats total is all I ever use. Takes about 3/4 cup per coat for two sides.

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-18-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
I just bought a stick of teak from Teak World last month. $73 (shipping included for a close proximity location) for the same platform. They don't do credit cards or PayPal. Billing is their M.O.

They sent me the board that did not have any radius so it came just the way I needed it. I did not use the board for this platform as I have another use for it in mind outside of the platform.

I use 75 % linseed oil / 25% mineral spirits. Teak oil is too heavy for my preference. Once a season is all I have to tend this one....trick that I have learned with my preferred mixture is to brush the oil on and leave it for an hour or so. Wipe the excess off very good and let each coat dry for 24-48 hours. Don't rely on any excess to soak in.....not the way it works for best results that I have experienced. Also pick a warmer time to do the project. Cooler temps (in the 50s) make for a long (and tacky) dry time....

That looks amazing. I'll have to try that in the spring.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
what grit paper did you end with?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro and Surf
That looks FANTASTIC ! Will this method work on my new x2 platform when they finish building it?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post

I use 75 % linseed oil / 25% mineral spirits. Teak oil is too heavy for my preference. Once a season is all I have to tend this one....trick that I have learned with my preferred mixture is to brush the oil on and leave it for an hour or so but not long enough for the excess to start drying in excess. Wipe the excess off very good and let each coat dry for 24-48 hours. Don't rely on any excess to soak in.....not the way it works for best results that I have experienced. Also pick a warmer time to do the project. Cooler temps (in the 50s) make for a long (and tacky) dry time....two coats total is all I ever use. Takes about 3/4 cup per coat for two sides.

That is a great looking swim platform. I love the slots cut for the straps. I have seen that Linseed/Mineral spirits mixture before. I would do that this year if I did not have a whole bottle of teak oil given to me from the PO. How well does the mixture last as compared with the teak oil, bc a couple times out on the water and the teak oil is ready to be applied again.