Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Can't anything ever be simple?

My 14-15 year old exhaust manifolds are showing some serious wear-and-tear. Specifically, there is large chunks on rusty metal flaking off of the water jackets. Going into this season, I wanted to replace the manifolds. I'd done this job once before on my previous MC. If you haven't removed the manifolds before, it is not terribly difficult. First, you have to remove the risers. Unfortunately, a standard allen wrench will not fit and you have to modify the tool to ensure it has less height to fit. Next, you have to remove six bolts which seat the manifold to the block. As luck would have it, I could only get 6-of-the-12 bolts (6 per manifold) out with a socket. The other six were so rusty that no matter what I did, I could not get a socket on them. After considering my options, I tried an easy-out and that didn't work. So, I got my angle grinder and grinder the bolt heads off. Than, I drilled the top of the bolt shank. Finally, I used a crow bar to pry the manifold away from the block and removed. What a PITA. I have new manifolds coming from DIM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Hoping I dont have the same issue!!

Need to pull mine and check internals. I changed out our Cobalt manifolds used in Salt water and had no issues. I assume after drlling the bolt you were able to remove?

Did you price out the new style manifold ETX? I recall back when we bought our boat Jim @ BAWs said that when replacement came to consider, he saw improvements in power.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
sorry for the problems BriEOD

I always spray penetrating oil and corrosion inhibitor on my manifold bolts - seems to be keeping things in check.. ... rust is a real PIA. Lumberg changed his bolts out.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Yeah it sucks. Here's a thread of mine on CCFan with some pics of what mine looked like, and the grinding process.

I now have a 350 in another boat that will need the same thing.
Previous 1992 Sport Nautique
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM
MC Platinum

Thanks for the responses.

Yep, once I grinded the bolt heads off and drilled the first 1/2 inch of the stud out the manifold freely moved.

I ordered essentially the same manifolds from Discount Inboard Marine. They should be here this week.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Glad to hear you got them off. I still have the cut off stud in one of my old manifolds.
Previous 1992 Sport Nautique
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM
MC Platinum

Wow. Once I got the manifolds off, the studs of the six bolts, sans the bolt heads, were still screwed into the block. Surprisingly, they all were hand-tight and came right out.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
MC Platinum

Jeff, I just looked through your threat on the SN site. Good grief, you had a mess! Mine were bad, but I think you had far more residual rust on your heads than I did. My issue was silver dollar-sized chunks of rusty metal were flaking off of the water jacket. I'll post a pic.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM
MC Platinum

Here ya go:
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1991, Indmar 351
Wow, now I feel even more fortunate that my 20 year old manifolds and risers came off without a hitch. Lots of penetrating oil for about a week before removal..... Good luck getting everything back together, spring is coming!!!!