Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-13-2014, 10:41 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 85 Stars and Stripe
85 sns refurb need advice and parts

I want to bring my 85 stars and stripes back to original form for its 30th birthday. She runs great but is showing her age. Gel coat is very faded. I started sanding a small spot yesterday to see if I could get back to the red. I was able to get back to red, but black spots which I suspect is the fiberglass started to show through. I would like to avoid painting the stripe and am looking for suggestions. I am also in need of various parts. (drivers seat track, engine cover vent, back blower vent and speedo pilot tube on back) I will post pictures of each.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Welcome to TeamTalk! Here's a link to the Information Library for info to source replacement parts, decals and more. Lots of great info assembled here from fellow TeamTalkers.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=59719

I replaced my Pitots with the units from Skidim and they work great. If you use them you will need to fill 2 of the existing Pitot mounting holes and drill 2 new ones.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=769B

We love pictures on this forum so post up progress pics.

Last edited by orbeamlb; 12-13-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 85 Stars and Stripe
Thanks for the link to the library. I will definitely post pictures of progress. The upholstery shop is getting started on interior. I need to get a game plan for gel coat.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by treym85 View Post
Thanks for the link to the library. I will definitely post pictures of progress. The upholstery shop is getting started on interior. I need to get a game plan for gel coat.
Pictures can be deceiving however-

Several things to consider

how bad is the gel coat, in that I'd start with a rubbing compound to see how well it would work. The 3M super compound will work wonders with the correct random orbital polisher and pads - plenty of info here about polishing with 3M

what grit paper rubbed through the gel? the black is indicative of breach of gel into the next layer of the process

If the 3m doesn't give you what you need, then start with a 2000 grit and work back

for repair of the black, you'll have to have it sprayed with gel again and match the colors

i wouldn't go any further until you see how a rubbing compound works

a gel coat person can spray that back pretty easy
Old 12-13-2014, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
Welcome to TeamTalk! If you use them you will need to fill 2 of the existing Pitot mounting holes and drill 2 new ones.
My take on the new pitot pick-ups- Don't drill any other hole(s) in the boat. Align the new pick-ups [use a drill bit to wallow out one hole (on each new pick-up) a tiny bit to get them to align] for use with existing mounting holes. Abandon the other hole(s) on the new pick-up base. It will stay in place and no extra holes in the transom.

each to their own preference

I finally went to a GPS perfect pass and rarely even look at a speedometer now but that is another story
Old 12-13-2014, 05:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team Talk. Great to see another boat coming back to life. Send mikeg205 a PM for new decals.......he does an awesome job.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
My take on the new pitot pick-ups- Don't drill any other hole(s) in the boat. Align the new pick-ups [use a drill bit to wallow out one hole (on each new pick-up) a tiny bit to get them to align] for use with existing mounting holes. Abandon the other hole(s) on the new pick-up base. It will stay in place and no extra holes in the transom.

I finally went to a GPS perfect pass and rarely even look at a speedometer now but that is another story
what I will be doing!!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Welcome to Team Talk. Great to see another boat coming back to life. Send mikeg205 a PM for new decals.......he does an awesome job.
thanks Peter - when you're ready let me know!

mike
Old 12-13-2014, 09:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Ditto
Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1418527435412.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.1 KB if you find any of these vent covers, I'd love to know where...I have looked everywhere! Also the front..Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1418527517105.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  45.5 KBI have found these on the mastercraft parts website, the only one that's in good shape on my boat.lol. good luck with your refurbishment! Just dollars if I can answer any questions, I have been through my entire boat at one time or another over the fourteen years ive owned my 85. You'll love it!