Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
98 prostar 205 corvette refresh

Hello all, new member, but I have been reading almost daily over the past 6 months tapping into the wealth of knowledge other members have invested in the site. I picked up my first boat the end of August, a 98 205 with the LT1, 417 hours, and flamed out corvette logos that inspires a Joe Dirt "daaaang" whenever you walk by. I gave it a quick clean up, then enjoyed 30 hours of late Arkansas season time on beaver lake. My buddies and I have been open water slalom skiing and really enjoyed getting the old ski back out. Went over to the course once, that's the goal for next year.

So back to the refresh topic. I bought the boat knowing it needed some attention, mostly cosmetic, but I was inspired by other members projects that allowed me to see that the boat had lots of potential. The boat is not "unmolested" as there has been some gelcoat work and repairs where somebody brought her back to life from previous injuries. I don't have any background on this as the PO didn't have any answers on the history of the boat prior to his ownership, so if anyone recognizes the boat please chime in.

Big picture plans are to replace graphics (I'll be in touch with you mikeg) and restore gelcoat, give the existing interior a thorough cleaning (overall in good shape without tears), and full replace of stereo. Other smaller projects like engine cover insulation, exhaust/muffler work, engine maintenance, blower tube replacement, and other items on the page long punch list will help bring her closer to team talk standards.

If you're still reading sorry for the long introductory post. I hope to provide a little material to fill the winter months, give the veterans a newbie to chuckle at, and selfishly give myself a platform to solicit help along the way. Look for my buddy BigWillyStyle to chime in from time to time on the project as well. Here are some pics from the day after pulling her home. Please excuse the condition, the PO was not blessed with the mcocd. Thank you for the assistance you have already provided and I'm sure will continue to provide for the project.
Magoo
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft NXT "Plum Loco"
Nice find, keep us posted on your project. What graphics are you looking at, traditional MC or something else.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Looks great! Get out the heat gun and strip the "corvette" then a bottle or three of totally awesome followed by 303 and your back on the water. Looking forward to the progress pics!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
You can double the value of that boat by removing the Corvette bumper stickers.

btw.....has anyone ever seen a Chevrolet Corvette w/a MasterCraft logo on it??

Last edited by aquaman; 12-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Magoo, where do you live? I have seen that vette before.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 stars&stripes
I think it was on here a while back in through craigslist thread... Texas maybe? I think it was advertised as the wrong year model.... so you definitely didn't get much info out of the PO if he didn't even know the year, lol. Always great to see another skier!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Extra points for the Joe Dirt reference! Nice find and looks to be great project. I'll second the corvette sticker removal - tear that off ASAP! Enjoy the project, you'll have it whipped into shape in no time and ready for spring when the water gets soft again. Cheers!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
Nice find, looking forward to watching the resto!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Buddies boat is the best boat
Small Update

Just as a small update. Graphics have been removed and interior has been cleaned several times. I don't have many updated photos, but it has come a long way from day one in the origianl post. Currently working on polishing exterior with 3M, gas tank removed, and fuel sender repair/replace (may need some help on that one).

Boat was purchased from a guy in Tahlequah, OK and used around the Praire Creek side of Beaver Lake.

Here are a few pictures from the test drive and one of the first times out as well as a few backside progression shots.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Well done, nice gleam!!