Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 01-11-2014, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X45 and 89 barefoot 190
I have a 2012 F250 crew cab short bed with the 6.2 and 3.73 gears with 25000 miles. I have gotten 16mpg empty on the interstate. I normally avg 11 around town. I have a 37' fifth wheel and it weights 14000lbs. I averaged 7.5 from atlanta, ga to perris, ca. I had a lot of winds in New Mexico and once I got into Arizona I started running closer to 70-75 vs 60-65 but was manual shifting to keep it from down shifting so hard and redlining the rpm's. Overall, I have been happy with my choice to get the gas vs diesel.
The big reason I didn't get diesel was that my previous truck for work was a diesel. My company would spend around a $1000 per yr on the fuel system and just before the company went bankrupt I bought bad fuel and within 5 miles the fuel water separator light came on and within 20 miles it did $8000 in damage to the fuel system. This vehicle was a 2008 f250.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:19 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft, x-30, 2004, indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I had a dmax 2005 - head gasket at 83k miles, tranny dripped oil by the filter from about 50k on, needed all new front end stearing components... so no they don't all last 300k... I now have a ford and 65k miles on that with no issues so far... but it may have it's day in the sun as well. So far it is a much better truck, in that it is a truck, will it go 300k ? you would have to ask the next owner as I likely won't keep it past 125k....

None of the three have it all worked out, all have had issues accross the board, motor, tranny, steering, locking diff, and on and on....look at any forum as it relates to any brand... someone hates and someon loves... and everyones has different luck or curse by brand... otherwise we wouldn't be able to feel better about "our" brand vs "your sucky" brand...

But for towing you cannot deny that a diesel is the best way to go... My diesel, towing through CA picking up my 205v was getting around 11 at 70-75mph up an down Donners pass and I was passing gassers that where towing like they were standing still.. just sayn'

If you don't tow alot or small loads you will NEVER EVER be able to justify the expense of diesel maintenance on the new ones...
I have a duramax with 296,xxx miles on it and have only done regular maintenance and had the injectors changed but nothing else and it still runs great.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaked7138 View Post
had the injectors changed but nothing else and it still runs great.
Aren't injectors a thousand or so bucks? lol i would call that a sizable repair.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:49 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft, x-30, 2004, indmar
yes they are but the LB7 duramax diesel engine had bad injectors on it so if you buy a truck past 2004 there shouldn't be injector problems. the LB7 was the trial run if you will from 2001-2004 for chevy and gmc. but thats been the ONLY repair done on my truck
Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
New Tow Rig - Diesel HD or Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Aren't injectors a thousand or so bucks? lol i would call that a sizable repair.

Well if you prorate the injectors which for the LB7 would be about 1,500 over 296,000...that would be .005 cents a mile.

Not mention on most gas engines that start to have emission sensors fail after about 75k miles that cost hundreds each to repair. I don't see the diesel being costly to own in comparison but an advantage consider most people wont dare own or buy a gas engine with more than a 100k.

We have an 89 ford diesel work truck, beat to hell with daily use. Actually looks pretty good still, and runs like a top. Just over a 100k miles on it but I'd say only about 25% of those miles is on paved roads. Batteries, ball joints and filters... All to be expected..

121k on my lmm duramax now... Only money spent on it is removing all the emission for performance. No transmissions which I had 3 put in my 1500 by this time.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X 80
Is the x55 really that much heavier than an x80 with triple axels on the trailer?
Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 87 PS190, powerslot
Can't comment much on the "new" trucks. I do know that my old 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel gets decent economy vs power. Last year the Dodge was getting the transmission replaced (no complaints - I got 289k out of the first one) and I rented a gas 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 for the semi-annual 4 wheeling trip. Hooked up the rig to that, and got 8.6mpg out of the 5.7 Hemi. Now... I drove it hard - very hard... but I was shocked at the mileage. Good power though, I'll say that.

My diesel, over the exact same route, gets 11-12mpg. It's a lot of hills and mountains, lots of curves, and just a plain challenging drive.

The Ram diesel when unloaded gets me about 17 in town, and about 19-20 on the open road at 70-75mph. I run big All-Terrain tires, and it's 4x4, and I don't drive gently. If I were willing to slow down, it'd break 20mpg easily.

I love my diesel. I've driven the new trucks - and I love the new interiors. I just hate all the electronics, all the new emissions stuff, and the drive by computer feel that I get behind the wheel. Reckon I'm gonna keep my old Dodge forever. Those new ones are pricey when they break - and they all break - regardless of brand.

As much as it pains me to say it, unless you tow a lot, or rack up a ton of miles, a gas engine is probably the better choice now. I'm a diesel guy - love them - but can't deny that for a lot of folks, the gas engine makes more sense.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsucarjock88 View Post
Can't comment much on the "new" trucks. I do know that my old 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel gets decent economy vs power. Last year the Dodge was getting the transmission replaced (no complaints - I got 289k out of the first one) and I rented a gas 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 for the semi-annual 4 wheeling trip. Hooked up the rig to that, and got 8.6mpg out of the 5.7 Hemi. Now... I drove it hard - very hard... but I was shocked at the mileage. Good power though, I'll say that.

My diesel, over the exact same route, gets 11-12mpg. It's a lot of hills and mountains, lots of curves, and just a plain challenging drive.

The Ram diesel when unloaded gets me about 17 in town, and about 19-20 on the open road at 70-75mph. I run big All-Terrain tires, and it's 4x4, and I don't drive gently. If I were willing to slow down, it'd break 20mpg easily.

I love my diesel. I've driven the new trucks - and I love the new interiors. I just hate all the electronics, all the new emissions stuff, and the drive by computer feel that I get behind the wheel. Reckon I'm gonna keep my old Dodge forever. Those new ones are pricey when they break - and they all break - regardless of brand.

As much as it pains me to say it, unless you tow a lot, or rack up a ton of miles, a gas engine is probably the better choice now. I'm a diesel guy - love them - but can't deny that for a lot of folks, the gas engine makes more sense.
You're not kidding. I seriously wanted a diesel last year when I bought the new truck. But an 8k option, and fuel being .26 a liter more, hard to justify the extra cost.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 205, 2001, 350
[quote=ncsucarjock88;1015295]Can't comment much on the "new" trucks. I do know that my old 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel gets decent economy vs power. Last year the Dodge was getting the transmission replaced (no complaints - I got 289k out of the first one) and I rented a gas 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 for the semi-annual 4 wheeling trip. Hooked up the rig to that, and got 8.6mpg out of the 5.7 Hemi. Now... I drove it hard - very hard... but I was shocked at the mileage. Good power though, I'll say that.

As much as it pains me to say it, unless you tow a lot, or rack up a ton of miles, a gas engine is probably the better choice now. I'm a diesel guy - love them - but can't deny that for a lot of folks, the gas engine makes more sense.[/QUOTE]

I like it when people agree with me...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisBear View Post
Is the x55 really that much heavier than an x80 with triple axels on the trailer?
No you have it reversed. The X80 is much heavier than a X55 and with the triple axle trailer you have the extra weight of the third axle on the trailer.