Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
2013 F150 vs 2014 Chevy 1500

I currently owned a 2013 F150XLT with EB motor/Crew/4wd. Someone backed into the bumper in a parking lot, so it was in for a new bumper. Their insurance paid for a rental. Hertz gave me a 2014 Chevy 1500 crew/4wd/LT. I drove it for 4 days and had some impressions.
The exterior is personal preference, so you either like or dislike the truck the same. The rear bumper step seems like a good idea, but I can't think of a function that it is needed for. I owned to Avylanches and the step was needed for the side boxes and to access the bed covers.
The dash gauges have been revised and look very similar in placement to the Ford. The information center in the center of the gauges is also like the newer Ford and Dodge I really liked the steering wheel feel. The dash layout is OK. The seats were not comfortable at all. MyLink did not work very good in the truck. It paired easily, but mostly did not understand commands I gave, didn't connect to my Galaxy phone 60% of the time.

The Chevy drove fine. It was more noisy inside than my F150, at idle, on the road at 40, and at 65.

The biggest shock for me was the engine. It had decent power and did a fine job around town. It was returning 21 mpg on my daily driving, which is better than my 150 for the same basic routing. However, I was surprise to open the hood and see a 4.3 V-6. It really changed my opinion of a "small" V-6 in a large truck. I don't know how it would do pulling or lots of highway, but it was fine in town.

It was way down on power to the EB, but I thought it must have a 5.3 with a crew/4wd. The 4.3 did a fine job. I am happy to be back in my 150. For a similar trim package, I thought the Ford was a little nicer. All trucks/cars need to have a backup camera!
Old 12-09-2014, 04:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
The v6 in your EB is smaller than that! Lol