Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2002
Very interesting. The stitching on our 2002 was badly damaged when I got the boat, I think more due to the fact the thread was breaking down from UV damage, the vinyl looks good, but there is some sun damage to the top of a couple of the seats. Is this sun damage attributed to this batch of bad quality material you are mentioning?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbon66 View Post
Very interesting. The stitching on our 2002 was badly damaged when I got the boat, I think more due to the fact the thread was breaking down from UV damage, the vinyl looks good, but there is some sun damage to the top of a couple of the seats. Is this sun damage attributed to this batch of bad quality material you are mentioning?
Could be from Sunlight, could be from bleach- that beats the crap out of lost thread. Also, which corner? If it's the corner where people step out of the boat or they kneel on that cushion, that's another big cause of stitching going bad.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Could be from Sunlight, could be from bleach- that beats the crap out of lost thread. Also, which corner? If it's the corner where people step out of the boat or they kneel on that cushion, that's another big cause of stitching going bad.

Most of the stitching problems were on the engine cover (mid mount) and the bum of the back seat, the sun damage to the vinyl seams to be contained to the top of the seats up the front, near the base of the windscreen.