Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
IPHONE app for lists.

Looking for an iphone app that allows you to write notes or lists. The icon titled notes on the iphone does not back up or save the notes anywhere. A recent ios upgrade wiped them all out. I have lost 3 years of "stuff". I would like to find something that is popular and just as easy to use. There has to be an apple product they are selling that will do that.
What do you all use?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I use Notes Secure so I can Lock the notes I choose to lock. But I also noticed the Notes that comes with iPhone will connect to my exchange server notes now. Other than that, I got nothin...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-09-2013, 12:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Evernote. Saves everything across all platforms and can handle text, uploads, and even do OCR for pictures of text you upload.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
Looking for an iphone app that allows you to write notes or lists. The icon titled notes on the iphone does not back up or save the notes anywhere. A recent ios upgrade wiped them all out. I have lost 3 years of "stuff". I would like to find something that is popular and just as easy to use. There has to be an apple product they are selling that will do that.
What do you all use?
I use the built-in "Notes" for that. It saves them instantaneously across all of my iOS devices, to "Notes" on my computer using iCloud, and to the PCs I use at work via the Exchange server. I find it simple and convenient compared to Evernote.

As to backing up, Notes is backed up to my computer (or to iCloud if preferred) and is restored every time the device is synced. Not only haven't I lost any such data with iOS upgrades, I haven't lost any with complete iPhone or iPad upgrades.

Last edited by bigmac; 11-09-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsqure View Post
What do you all use?
Go to Settings, E-mail, Notes. You'll have a choice of Yahoo, GMail, etc andyou would go to the e-mail chosen. If it's Yahoo, the Notes button is at the left, close to the bottom. Click on that and all of the notes will be there.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday because my iPhone has been deleting the notes after Aug 15 and it was pizzing me off because I really need that info. I should have looked, but didn't realize where they had been saved.

I don't trust the cloud enough to save anything inportant, but I do have DropBox, which is another good option.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
What JimN said
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I don't trust the cloud enough to save anything inportant, but I do have DropBox, which is another good option.
Dropbox is cloud-based storage. Same concept as iCloud and no more secure or safe. In some ways I find it more convenient than iCloud for some things. Notes synchronization isn't one of them, though.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Sorry Jim N and Snork, a bit foggy this morning. I don't see it on my iphone. I have setings, mail contacts and calendars. I can select on iCloud and a Notes icon is there to turn on. I have to set up an iCloud account.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
do you have a laptop or PC? if you do you'll find your notes in your mail sections
Old 11-09-2013, 03:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
do you have a laptop or PC? if you do you'll find your notes in your mail sections
Ahh yes, those notes that appeared in my mail inbox. I deleted them wondering what they were doing there because they had never shown up before.