Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
First new boat...Stereo suggestions?

So in my X30 order I did the high powered stereo upgrade, and got 2 J&L cans. The upgrade comes with woofer, amp...etc. I'm actually a bit of a home stereo OCD, so great sound would be nice, although it's tough to achieve in outdoor systems. I wondering what u guys suggest:
1. Get 4 cans?
2. Dump the whole OEM set up and get aftermarket? I just worry that aftermarket won't be any cheaper, and run the risk of sloppy install unless I can find the right guy or do it myself.
If I went aftermarket, which one? Everyone talks Wetsounds, but I really have no experience with them.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
First off congratulations on the new X30, awesome boat! I can provide a little bit on insight for you as I have a new '14 coming in as well and I'm a little OCD when it comes to sound stuff as well. Here are the basics:

-JL factory stuff is absolutely top notch...don't let anybody tell you differently.
-The factory does under power their stuff...75W to the in boat speakers and 100W to the towers I believe.
-Go with 4 tower speakers. If it is not to late I highly suggest going with the stock JL black cans and go with 4 vs. the billet aluminum ones from Mastercraft. They aluminum ones are nice and the only way you will get forward facing lights...but I can count on 1 hand the number of times I actually used them on my last boat in 6 years. Spend the $ on 4 towers, that is a no-brainer IMO.
-Wet sounds are beyond sweet and very loud. One of my best friends has them on his X15 and they rock, but definitely have a different sound. The JL towers sound richer musically if that makes sense.
-The in-boat speakers are fine they way the factory has them powered. For you first boat I would leave them as is...or you can do what I am doing and bridge the amp that they will give you for the 4 tower speakers to give your in-boat speakers 200W each as well.
-Tower Speakers...you NEED, not want more power. I'm taking my JL750/1 amp out of my current boat and putting into the new boat to run just the 4 towers. There are a couple other threads about this as well you can read. It will be sweet.
-Bass...no there in lies your only real decision. The bass in a factory boat is really nice...best of any factory delivered system I've ever sat in. Now if you'd sat in my old X Star with it's ported JL13W7 when it was turned up, then go back to your boat with the single 10" free air sub, you'd have a big time complex. I love the extra bass...in my new boat I'll be running the 13W7 with a 1200/1 amp. This is overkill for 98% of the boating population, but I'm OCD when it comes to this stuff. At a minimum I'd suggest adding 1 more free air in tandem with the one that come from the factory...but honestly that's a waste of money...either go big or go home I say.
-In summary - get the boat delivered as is from the factory with 4 JL towers, find a great local stereo shop. Bridge the in boat speakers so at least you are using the amps you paid for, buy a 750/1 to power the towers. Subwoofer...its your call, I say have the boat for a summer see how you personally like it. (if you are OCD, you'll budget for a sub and amp for the next season as well).
-Make sure you get the Fusion rear remote so you can change your tunes from the swim deck. Get the Bluetooth as well.

Hope this helps and post pics when it comes in!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Brought my new 2013 to a local shop and they told me same thing. No topping the stock system, JL components are as good as they get, mentioned adding power as the best way to augment the system.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X30, 2014, 6.2
I also just ordered a new x30. Went with the high power upgrade and no tower speakers. I'm going with 4 Exile tower speakers and harpoon amp. This setup cost less than 4 black JL cans so I thought it was a no brainier. The quick disconnect on the Exile's also sold me. I had the JL cans on my old boat and they just didn't project the sound. They had their own amp too.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
All great info guys! I'll at least add the 4 cans but the Exile options sounds interesting. I have to admit, Im gonna go with the least hassle factor option, and upgrade if needed. If my dealer can offer some ideas and local options I might go the custom route next yr.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Least hassle and warranty if you go with the JL's. Upgrade by adding power so they have 200W...you will be shocked how amazing they sound. In my opinion, the absolute only reason to not go with JL's would be if you wanted HLCD speakers because it was important that the 1 individual being pulled hears the music perfectly. They are awesome, but I think you give up a little from a pure sound quality standpoint...that is a personal preference/opinion though.

Walnut...did you go with the 7's or the 9's? Have you heard them before paired with the JL in-boat speakers? I have seen them on boats on my lake, but never sat in one to check them out...seems like a pretty cost effective option, post your take on it once it is all dialed in.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

I'm going with two Surf 9's on the outside and 2 Wake 9's on the inside. I'll only have the two inside speakers attached when boarding. I'm 6'4" so not having the middle two speakers installed all the time will be nice. That's why the quick disconnect feature sold me on the Exile. When I get it all installed I'll let you know. Boat won't be here until March.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

What is the difference between a wake 9 and a surf 9? Interesting concept to remove the two inside speakers...I'm 6'2" so I get the whole having to duck down thing...I would just be too lazy to pull them on and off. I'm interested to here how it works out for you...spring can't come fast enough can it!?!?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Surf 9 is an coax speaker while the wake is a hlcd.

Honestly if you're looking into exile l would look into wet sounds. Much better customer service and the under rate their amps, while exile is the exact opposite. The new rev series from ws is top notch, and screams!

How realistic is disconnecting and re attaching speakers to switch sports? It isn't.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

If you're doubting Exile's customer service you clearly have no experience with them. Brain is about the nicest guy in the world. FYI.... it takes about 20 seconds to disconnect a speaker, put it in its case and place it under the seat. That's worth my time to not have to worry about hitting my head.