Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 PS 205 LT1
Replacement Engine Cover

First time poster here, but long time reader of posts. I need a new engine cover and floor panel for my 1996 PS 205. Last night I was trailering the boat to Atlanta to get re-upholstered. Passed an 18 wheeler on a hill and voom...there goes the engine cover with the rear floor panel airborne out of the boat. Fortunately it landed on the road and not on a car. Unfortunately, there was another big truck following that completely demolished it. Minor damage to the stringers where the floor panel attached as it pulled the screws right out of them.

So now my issues...where to get a new panel and cover. I've read marine plywood is a good alternative for the panel. But for the cover, any ideas on where to look? Since it is being reupholstered, timing is good for a used one. Would just about any year, direct drive model work? I have the LT1...any fit issues with which to be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Sorry to read... good luck on the search - someone I am sure will have an answer for you. I'll make sure I secure mine after reading this... wow - surprised to read it lifted up while trailering.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Ouch. That stinks. The floor panel should not be the issue as you said but matching the carpet may be a chore unless the carpet is part of the upholstery project. I am not sure what all years of an engine cover will fit that boat but it would be a good chance to upgrade, although I am not sure how easy one would be to come by. You could always custom make a mold and make your own. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Wow, sorry to hear about the engine cover flying out.....never thought that could happen! I guess the air off the semi you passed made it lift up huh?

Call Chuck at Bay Area Watersports in Land O Lakes. He may be able to help you find a used one from salvage somewhere.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 PS 205 LT1
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found one at Rambo marine (excellent folks) that was intended for a later model direct drive but color scheme was incorrect on the order. As such, it ended up sitting in their storage for few years, but otherwise is new. It is a bit larger (about 2-3 inches) wider than what came on my boat...apparently to account for the catalytic converter system.

I called around a bunch and am a bit shocked at how difficult it was to find a box. I thought there’d be at least a few options out there. I suppose that is somewhat a testament to Mastercraft in that they are being used and useful well after others are left for dead in the boat graveyard. Also fortunately, Rambo was just a 20 minute drive for me.

Now...just have to figure out how best to marry this box with my boat which is being reupholstered north of Atlanta. Shipping on this is not cheap and driving it over there is a waste of a day and gas.

Tags
engine cover