Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Need help with new A/C unit selection

According to the a/c repair guy I need to get a new unit (go figure). Current unit is from 2001 and it seems to be leaking Freon which has to be refilled every 6 months. (charged me $165 for 2 lbs of Freon) But the problem is that he knows I know very little about this subject so I am immediately cautious about his pricing.

He suggested a 3 ton Rheem, 13 Seer unit, all in at $8,677 minus $800 bc he's a nice guy

So can anyone on here in the business or been through similar give me some unbiased guidance on what sort of unit I should buy? Recommended Seer rating?

I'd really appreciate any help!! thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Too much. Get more quotes. I'm not an hvac guy but I am a GC.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
According to the a/c repair guy I need to get a new unit (go figure). Current unit is from 2001 and it seems to be leaking Freon which has to be refilled every 6 months. (charged me $165 for 2 lbs of Freon) But the problem is that he knows I know very little about this subject so I am immediately cautious about his pricing.

He suggested a 3 ton Rheem, 13 Seer unit, all in at $8,677 minus $800 bc he's a nice guy

So can anyone on here in the business or been through similar give me some unbiased guidance on what sort of unit I should buy? Recommended Seer rating?

Is he re-using any of the old AC parts like the line set or A coil? The electrical connections, pad, plenum and the rest of the system should be fine for the new AC compressor (is he saying that the heat pump needs to be replaced, too?). Did he itemize the whole job? If not, tell him that you want a full list of charges, all separate.

I know that a lot of HVAC contractors dump on Goodman equipment, but I have absolutely no complaints about the two furnaces I bought and the price was far below what the local guys were asking. The stupid thing about this- the control board & blower are the same as what most others use- Robert Shaw. The first one I bought replaced a Rheem that was over-sized for the house and these have two-stage blowers. The main complaint I heard was about the sheet metal gauge being too thin and that's complete BS. I installed the first one and cut the hole for the cold air return- there was nothing lightweight about it. They have distribution centers around the country and it took maybe 2 days to get mine, both times. They have a contractor finder, they offer tech support before AND after the sale and they double the warranty of the furnace's heat exchanger if it goes bad, for a total of 20 years.

The supplier I used has a Goodman 3 ton 13 SEER unit for $885, the evaporator is from Aspen (in its own case) is $400 and the Goodman is less than $300, a 50' line set is $200.

There are quite a few brand names, but only a few companies making this stuff and they may talk about the high priced ones being better, but at some point, they need to stop BS-ing people. This is a 1/2-day job, IMO.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Too much. Get more quotes. I'm not an hvac guy but I am a GC.
Yeah, will do for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Is he re-using any of the old AC parts like the line set or A coil? The electrical connections, pad, plenum and the rest of the system should be fine for the new AC compressor (is he saying that the heat pump needs to be replaced, too?). Did he itemize the whole job? If not, tell him that you want a full list of charges, all separate.

I know that a lot of HVAC contractors dump on Goodman equipment, but I have absolutely no complaints about the two furnaces I bought and the price was far below what the local guys were asking. The stupid thing about this- the control board & blower are the same as what most others use- Robert Shaw. The first one I bought replaced a Rheem that was over-sized for the house and these have two-stage blowers. The main complaint I heard was about the sheet metal gauge being too thin and that's complete BS. I installed the first one and cut the hole for the cold air return- there was nothing lightweight about it. They have distribution centers around the country and it took maybe 2 days to get mine, both times. They have a contractor finder, they offer tech support before AND after the sale and they double the warranty of the furnace's heat exchanger if it goes bad, for a total of 20 years.

The supplier I used has a Goodman 3 ton 13 SEER unit for $885, the evaporator is from Aspen (in its own case) is $400 and the Goodman is less than $300, a 50' line set is $200.

There are quite a few brand names, but only a few companies making this stuff and they may talk about the high priced ones being better, but at some point, they need to stop BS-ing people. This is a 1/2-day job, IMO.
No itemization, just a price and unit description. Fairly sure he meant full replace.

Thanks for your insight on Goodman. I'll keep their units in mind during this process. On my very initial and basic searches online, Trane and Rheem get brought up a lot. I don't plan on being in this house for more than a couple years so I don't feel compelled to get the popular brand name.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Another's thumbs up for Goodman. I have used their units on three different houses all with great service. my AC guy sells other brands as well but recommends Goodmans a lot not just because of the price but because of the very few call backs he gets with them.

Your price sounds high. I did a full replacement Goodman 5 ton 16 SEER with 100k BTU gas furnace and all new duct work including a 10 year parts and labor warranty for right at $8k installed.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Woah. My 2 ton was $2100 CAN installed. My bud is an HVAC guy, so he did the work, buts still. $9k? Wow...
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X-45
As an HVAC contractor for over 20 years, I can tell you that Goodman is garbage. (It is the Bayliner of the A/C manufacturers.) In my opinion, Carrier manufactures the best residential products of any manufacturers. For almost 9k, you should be getting a new furnace, coil, lineset, and condensing unit. 9k for just a Rheem condensing unit is just flat rape. PM me your number as I am happy to chat with you personally.

As a side note, its residential contractors like that that made it very easy for me to leave the residential side of the business and only do commercial. I would guess that 90% of residential HVAC contractors are just plain thieves. They ruined it for the rest of us.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 240 425HP BBC/36 Spectre Cat 1400HP 130MPH/32 Glasstream CC Twin 300HP Verado/Cougar FTD Basscat 20' 225 Merc Pro XS
I have been a HVAC contractor for 31 years. Have sold most all of the better known brands and still do. HVAC equipment are machines. Just like cars, boats, motorcycles etc. Most systems run for hundreds, even thousands of hours. They all break down just like any other mechanical piece of equipment. Some more than others depending on many factors. Maintenance, hours of use, environment,etc. Most brands share a lot of the same brand parts. Most contractors have their preferred brands and will tell you that it is the best brand. I have sold Goodman also since 1992. They have come a long way in improving their quality. And have one of the best warranty in the industry. The higher efficiency models have limited lifetime warranty on heat exchangers and compressors. All models come with 10 year parts. Check it out. http://www.goodmanmfg.com/WarrantyOv...0/Default.aspx
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I have several friends that are HVAC contractors and they use a lot of Goodman. Probably best bang for the buck. Carrier is definitely the best quality, but you pay for it. Quote in OP is way way way to much.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post

Seems kind of pricy to me. Did you get a model number? If you get the model number he intends to install you can check pricing on it.

Where I live heat pump/ACs are all the rage.

We had a 3 ton RUUD Ultra 2 stage, same as Rheem, heat pump and air handler installed 15 seer.

It's worked well and the 2 stage has lowered the electric bill a few bucks too.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 11-08-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: 15 seer 30,000 btu