Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS 1994 5.7L
Cool Drum vs Disc surge trailer brakes

I just purchased a 94 Maristar 225 VRS (first MC!) this summer and picked it up pretty cheap. The MC trailer is in good shape minus the brakes. The guy I bought the boat from had a big diesel so needless to say he probably never noticed an issue. The brake line was kinked and old so I ran new brake line. Then I looked at the actuator and it was dry and ended up being shot. So at this point I am guessing my drum brakes back there are all in need of maintenance as well and don't know what's bad and good on the trailer.

My question is would it be worth trying to fix everything with the drum brake system or should I try to convert the brakes to a disk brake system. Seems like all the new trailers are coming out with disk brakes so I didn't know what the pros and cons of each were and if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations.

New to this site!

Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS 1994 5.7L
Ended up ordering a conversion kit from pacifictrailers.com. The kit came with everything I needed and it was very simple to do just took some time. Had it done in two days though. Brakes work great and now my truck can stop the rig with ease. Kit came with new bearings and hubs so I have fresh grease on the bearings and I feel confident in all parts of my trailer right now so in the spring I can get right to the water!

I have a few pictures posted in an album on my profile.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I replaced my drum brakes and they are good enough to lock up the wheels if I brake hard. I think the advantage to the disk brakes is less problems/maintenance in the long run. You can buy new backing plates with the the cylinders and pads in place so it is just a bolt on and adjust type of repair.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I refurbed my trailer - if I had it to do over I would do disc. My drums work very well - but I would up almost replacing everything.

Tags
maintenance, trailer brake, trailer problem