Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Smile Swim Platform Material?

Trying to decide which is best for durability and especially salt water use? I worry that the mat on the fiberglass one will lift, and the gel coat will get all scratched up. The teak can be sanded and oiled to look new every season. Strange to that the teak is standard while the fiberglass is an extra option? Teak is way more expensive and I wonder if they' ll reverse this shortly?
Either way appreciate you experience and input...final changes deadline is close!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Former-2013 X30 6.2 Ilmor
I just used my last boat in salt and fresh...
We had SeaDek brand rubber decking ( same basic stuff MC uses) on our Swim Platform.
We later replaced all of our cockpit carpets with the same material .

I will not lift up or come loose. Get the platform you prefer, but rubber ones require no maintenance.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
The fiberglass may not require maintenance, but it has the potential to look really banged up from getting hit with wakeboards. You can clean up those dings on teak.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
The price of teak has been coming down. My local supplier has the good stuff and it used to be ~$45 per board foot (12" by 12" by 1" thick, ). Last Monday when I was at the supplier I asked about the current price and they said ~$23/bd ft. My spit ball estimate would say that a 2' by 8' wide platform would take about 18-20 bd ft to make (figuring scrap and the design). At $45 that works out to about $800-900 just in materials.

It sure does make me glad I used to buy a board or two when I went to my supplier for other stuff. Back then I paid under $15/bd ft and now I am sitting on about a thousand board ft. I've got boards so big and clear I could make a platform out of one single board and the color match would be dead on perfect.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I think it is merely a preference thing. As mentioned, the glass ones can get dinged up. Depending on how bad, they can be fixed with minimal effort too but still not as easily as a teak platform. I would not think that either is a deal breaker though. I prefer the teak personally, but that is just me.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
I always had teak in the past, and I preferred it..... However, MC won't put a teak platform on an XStar for some reason. My FG platform didn't get dinged too bad, with this new design. However, the pad is peeling up in several areas, after just one season of use. Not a real big deal, as it will be replaced under warranty.

That being said, I miss my teak platform.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
One TT'r had their fiberglass deck sprayed with Rhino Lining then installed a Seadek pad on it. ??
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X Star 7.4L
I love the look of the teak on a platform...I would simply power wash it a couple times a year and throw some oil on it and presto it would look brand new (for a few weeks). New boat will be fiberglass, not sure if I'll miss Teak or not. Since Teak is no up-charge, I'd go for that vs. the extra $ for fiberglass. My $0.02
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
thanks guys...I've ordered fiberglass (wife likes the color match!), but might just go teak...I think it really does come down to preference, and still on the fence.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
I think the FG platform has been adjusted a little in 2014 to improve surfing... Not sure the same can be said for the teak one.

They do get banged up, but can be taken off and fixed up easily by a gel guy.... So maintenance is a bit of a wash, only that teak could be 'self' repaired faster if you know what you're doing.

5 year warranty on the peeling item.... I wouldn't worry too much.